My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellas, I’m new to the forum and have some questions about a tractor I picked up yesterday. I already own a craftsman 22.5 hp garden tractor from the mid 90’s and it rips. It’s crazy powerful but the deck is in terrible shape so I started looking for a backup/replacement. I stumbled upon this dys 4500 and saw it was 24 hp and had a 54” deck. It also came with a snowthrower attachment and some other odds and ends so I jumped on it. This thing looks like a toy next to my old one and after some reading it turns out it’s a yard tractor and not a garden tractor. That’s where I’m confused. This thing has an incredibly powerful engine so what’s the weak link, the transmission ? I’m definitely keeping the big dog because aside from the deck it’s perfectly operational so I’ll use it for my towing and workhorse stuff around the property. I do use a cyclone rake pretty frequently, do you think the 4500 is up to challenge of towing my big *** and a cyclone rake around or will I blow the thing up ? The attachments alone are worth more than what I paid for it so is it conceivable to find a newer garden tractor that the deck and attachments will fit or are the attachments strictly for yard tractors ? My property is 1.75 acres and it’s mostly flat with some small hills here and there.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It’s more of a general quality of the machine. What is the motor brand. Hydro trans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Money Pit
340 Posts
I've owned a lot of them. They are a general use tractor, nothing heavy duty what so ever. In my PO the deck should have never been an option, it almost outweigh the tractor. It is the exact same tractor as the 3500 series with a 42 inch deck just different options. Its good for flat even lawns. You will find that the deck will get hung up quite easy on uneven terrain.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Your DYS4500 is likely the same machine as my YTS4500. The weakest link is the Tuff Torque K46 transaxle. Change the transaxle oil; clean all 4 of the magnets inside, and use 5W-50 synthetic oil. Keep the transaxle clean so it doesn't overheat and it should last much longer than the 5 year expected life. I have approximately 400 hours on mine and two oil changes. Most of my mods are on the "What did you do to/on your craftsman today" thread.

Let me know if there's anything specific you would like to see.

I wouldn't hesitate using the deck or snowblower, but maybe keep the older machine for pulling heavy stuff. I only use mine for mowing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah it’s hydrostatic and it’s a 24 hp Briggs and Stratton v-twin intek engine. I saw it was 24 hp and assumed it was similar to the machine I already had. Has anybody successfully swapped decks and blowers from newer tractors to older tractors ? I suspect I’m going to kill this thing by the end of the season.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Keep fluids changed, full syn in the motor... cuz it’s an intek. Keep deck clean and should be ok for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Yeah it’s hydrostatic and it’s a 24 hp Briggs and Stratton v-twin intek engine. I saw it was 24 hp and assumed it was similar to the machine I already had. Has anybody successfully swapped decks and blowers from newer tractors to older tractors ? I suspect I’m going to kill this thing by the end of the season.
Do you have a pic of the older tractor?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts