My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dys 4500 w/ a briggs +strat. 24hp vtek twin ,it has been running good since we bought it new a couple of years back this past week while mowing (our yard takes 4hrs) about 3 hrs in it started bogging down and then it stalled and would start up again but with no power and had to nurse it back to garage, oils good ,gas filt is good and we are getting spark ,i havent had any problem up to now the engine almost sounds like its flooding when it dies, i'm handy and have the tools just need some advise on where to start, it has been real hot while mowing but it has always run good before, also is there any exhaust screens on the exhaust like anti spark that might get clogged up like on my rototiller, thanks for any help or suggestions

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine seems to run good when its cold but once it warms up( about 5 mins.)i have to keep it full choked just to keep it running everything seems clean or should i go through it all again, filters,gas +lines etc? I DIDNT CHECK THE COMPRESSION YET DO TO TIME ISSUES RIGHT NOW ,IWAS WONDERING IF IMISSED SOMETHING FAIRLY SIMPLE

·
Registered
758 Posts
Vapor lock? (Small vent holes on fuel cap plugged?). If air cannot get into the tank to replace used gas, then the tank will stop letting gas out.

At your own risk (something broke inside only gets worse over time) try running with no gas cap...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Start with the basics: fuel, air and spark. Take the spark plugs out and turn the grass screen by hand to see if you've broken a connecting rod. You can also take off the head gasket covers to sneak a peak at the push rods. Sometimes they bend and fall out of their seat.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
What about overheating? Make sure you have bo mouse nests or built up grass clippings between the cowlings and the engine itself. Missing cowlings will also cause this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts