My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am looking for a DVD player recorder that will also play VCR tapes so I can put my VCR tapes on a DVD disc. Can anybody recommend a brand and model that they are happy with ? Also what features I should be looking for.
What price range would they be in ?
Thanks in advance
Rod

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
you would come out cheaper conencting your VCR to your computer and burning them that way. you already have a line in on teh sound card, you just need a video in and the right cables. many new machines, especially media center computers, already have everything.

most off the shelf VCR/DVD combos only PLAY the DVD, not write to it. so you are likely going to see a high price for a unit.

check around local photo labs in your area. many will do it for just a few dollars a copy. you can get a better price break by dealing with a small shop versus going to a box store photo center.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Rodster,

I am going to assume that you are copying old home movies to DVD, because most commercial video tapes used Analog Copy Protection to prevent unauthorized duplication. This would cause your color go dark and then light repeatedly on the resulting copy.

OTOH, if it's for home stuff, davidg is right that a good video capture card might be cheaper so you could record straight to your hard drive and burn your own disks. If you prefer the hands off solution, check out this article on the combos. I have personally used a couple of the Panasonic products to do these at church, and they worked pretty well.

Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts