My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How the heck do you get to the DVD and USB drives in Windows 10? I got to USB once and it told me that it couldn't read the files saved in XP & Windows 7 without reformatting drive which would then make it useless in Windows 7 I guess. I entered both of them in Search and all I got was a bunch of gobbley gook. Don't see why they have to make things more complicated when XP & 7 was so simple.
Thanks,
Walt Conner

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Isn't there a program called "disk management" usually by right clicking on the "start" button?

·
Minding my P's & Q's
2,025 Posts
Walt,
You are not so much going to the USB port, but rather to what ever you have plugged into the USB port. Like a thumb drive or external disk.
What do you have plugged in to a USB port?

In the search box down next to the start button, type in "file explorer" w/o the quotes, and see what comes up.
Then click on file explorer open.

File explorer should list all your drives and anything plugged in to a USB port. Can click on them and open them.

Can have more than one file explorer window open so you can move files pretty easy.
May have to read about how file explorer works. You can customize it to work the way you want it to.

I agree, Windows XP worked great for me. WIN10 works, but not as easy to accomplish what you want. Just not as intuitive. Plus the updates keep setting things back to what Micro$soft wants them to be, not what I want.

Come on back if you need more info.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How the heck do you get to the DVD and USB drives in Windows 10? I got to USB once and it told me that it couldn't read the files saved in XP & Windows 7 without reformatting drive which would then make it useless in Windows 7 I guess. I entered both of them in Search and all I got was a bunch of gobbley gook. Don't see why they have to make things more complicated when XP & 7 was so simple.
Thanks,
Walt Conner
Walt,
You are not so much going to the USB port, but rather to what ever you have plugged into the USB port. Like a thumb drive or external disk.
What do you have plugged in to a USB port?

In the search box down next to the start button, type in "file explorer" w/o the quotes, and see what comes up.
Then click on file explorer open.

File explorer should list all your drives and anything plugged in to a USB port. Can click on them and open them.

Can have more than one file explorer window open so you can move files pretty easy.
May have to read about how file explorer works. You can customize it to work the way you want it to.

I agree, Windows XP worked great for me. WIN10 works, but not as easy to accomplish what you want. Just not as intuitive. Plus the updates keep setting things back to what Micro$soft wants them to be, not what I want.

Come on back if you need more info.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
  1. Thanks Flaken and JP Savage. With your help I did find the drives. I have USB Flash Drives for several different categories of titles such as Small Engine Repairs & narratives I have written on them, people and places pictures, pictures of lawnmowers & engines I have rebuilt, Genealogy and more. I was able to open a test Flash Drive OK, no modification. I try not to store anything important on the computers and good thing as my favorite Windows 7 computer just died yesterday. I am trying to diagnose it now. I also have an external Hard Drive as a second backup which plugs in USB Port. I was pleased with how easy it was to convert this one to Windows 10 and that I could make it look and act some what like 7 but some things are frustrating such as just now as I was typing it suddenly went off into never never land. I was able to get it back without losing anything. Whether it winds up for sale or not depends on how I get along with it. This is a cheap junk computer anyway, cheapest thing daughter could find at the time. I will likely be back, to find out how to get my name off this as I foolishly put on it.
  2. Thanks again guys,
  3. Walt Conner

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,930 Posts
You need to create a new "user" account like Admin with Admin privileges, then move all you file off the computer, then delete all your files, then delete your account with the Admin account. Then you can either upgrade it to Windows 10 and/ or sell it as is or with the window 10 upgrade.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts