My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
21,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 10525 to a customers to mow today. Well, guess what. No start. I pulled. The customer pulled. It fired twice in about 45 mins. Throw it back on the truck, go back home. I took the old plug out, it was soaked. I put a new plug in after pulling it a few times to clear it out. Nothing. Checked for spark. None. Pulled the coil off. (Now this is a duraforce, but the coil isn't anything like the normal duraforce coils. This looks just like an F coil. The number is 484046 or something like that.) Gave the coil to my wife and I asked her to bake it for about an hour on 200 deg. No way, she says. Not in my oven. It'll blow up from the gas. I explained that this didn't have gas in it and it was OK. She takes it in the house as I load up an old mower and head back to the customers. Got the yard mowed, weed trimmed, etc, and headed home. When I got there, I found the coil sitting on the bench in the garage. Still warm, just like a loaf of freshed baked bread. Anyway, I put the duraforce back together under the watchful, but disbelieving, eye of my wife. When I finished, I gave the old girl one pull on the rope and she fired right up. Well, she couldn't believe it! Had to go back in the house, call our son (the college professor), and says, "Guess What!". Our son says, "How does dad know how to do all these neat things?" Linda says, "He learned it on that Tractor Forum thing."

You really do learn some neat things here on this Tractor Forum thing, don't we?

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
"Like a loaf of fresh baked bread"....Good one Brad!

I agree though....great bunch of nowhows...:trink39:

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
yep to use a phrase,
lil bit of back country lawyerin goes on here

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,767 Posts
It usually only lasts awhile so I would recommend ordering one of those 25 dollar ones on Ebay and have it ready. The one you have is the first generation coil that was large. The later ones were the smaller ones but they all bolt up the same.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
It usually only lasts awhile so I would recommend ordering one of those 25 dollar ones on Ebay and have it ready. The one you have is the first generation coil that was large. The later ones were the smaller ones but they all bolt up the same.
X2 it's only a matter of time if you use it alot or store it in a damp environment (shed) !

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,064 Posts
Yeah that is a good story Brad, I wonder if a coil will last longer down here in West Texas where it is 105 degrees Fahrenhiet and zero percent humidity. I think that I can achieve that 200 degree bake by just placing it on the roof of my car parked in the drive way at about 3:00 in the afternoon. LOL

·
Administrator
21,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it's been plenty hot here, but with very high humidity, and in my shed even hotter. I know it'll be short lived so I am going to probably get one of those Ebay ones. I got a newer Duraforce model from Echoman a few months back, but didn't work. The mounting holes in the new one were substatially smaller and couldn't get the screws in. I could have drilled them out but was afraid the different style may have been incompatible with other differences.

·
4,767 Posts
Thats very odd. Ive used every Duraforce coil model on every one of my Duraforce engines dated 1998-2001 production wise. The last engines were manufactured in 2002.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Were the earlier larger 1st generation coils the ones that go out? Or did it happen to the later models also? I need to get a new coil for one of my 3 duraforces that im fixing up.
2 of them run, but the 3rd one that i recently acquired i knew beforehand needed a coil when i bought it. theres ones that are $20.00 and different ones for $25.00.

·
4,767 Posts
They all crap out about the same. I guess they tried several vendors and designs. At least they dont cost 50 bucks and only avaliable from Toro like they were a few years ago.

·
nothing of interest
1,025 Posts
Yes, it's been plenty hot here, but with very high humidity, and in my shed even hotter. I know it'll be short lived so I am going to probably get one of those Ebay ones. I got a newer Duraforce model from Echoman a few months back, but didn't work. The mounting holes in the new one were substatially smaller and couldn't get the screws in. I could have drilled them out but was afraid the different style may have been incompatible with other differences.
I guess the reason I want to know about the coil is that an old friend stopped this spring, his mower had no spark, I asked what color the coil was and sent him home with a dark color one, he came back with one that had different mounting holes. Mine would not fit.
I just ran the part numbers and the number on the coil changed in 2000, but that could be due to the fact the high tension lead was then seperate from the coil,not glued into it like the 98 and 99 models.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
The different sized coil bolt holes were I believe something Toro came up with to fit either the V series or their E series. The smaller hole units are #99-2912 with the larger holed coils for the E series are 99-2911 and 99-2916. If I remember correctly, that coil you have Ron will fit not only 'open' to run F series, but the E's and M series as well. I think it may have been the most universal coil covering these 3 models.

·
nothing of interest
1,025 Posts
The different sized coil bolt holes were I believe something Toro came up with to fit either the V series or their E series. The smaller hole units are #99-2912 with the larger holed coils for the E series are 99-2911 and 99-2916. If I remember correctly, that coil you have Ron will fit not only 'open' to run F series, but the E's and M series as well. I think it may have been the most universal coil covering these 3 models.
So, the coils for 98,99 and 2000 are all the same? Difference in the part numbers due to the spark plug wire lead ?
Will this coil fit Brad's mower?
Old friend must have had a much newer machine, I didn't see it, he just came out with out it.
Thanks for the info !!

·
Administrator
21,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
That is the coil you need Brad. While the one Ron has would work, these are the latest and replacement styles.

·
Deceased, April 2015
190 Posts
Many years ago when I used to work on high voltage sections of televisions, I used a product called Glyptal to seal connections and prevent arcing. It's a red colored tough varnish that is painted on with a brush. It's still available.

I wonder if after baking the coil a coating of Glyptal were applied and allowed to dry on the coil, it would prevent re-migration of moisture into it. Just a thought.

Charlie

1 - 20 of 26 Posts