My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - my fine LB Duraforce powered 10550 is giving me some trouble and it's time to spend some time trouble shooting!

This mower mows once a week and up until two mows ago, would start-up on the first or second pull.

Now after setting a week, it absolutely will not start. You can pull your arm off and no start!

Here's the kicker. If I leave it alone for about 15 minutes, it will start first pull! Go figure?

When it does finally start, it doesn't run like it's starving for fuel nor does it show signs of being flooded.

What's wrong?

The mower had a good carb cleaning, including needle, seat and float a few months ago. It has a 1 yr old inline filter and a shut-off valve.

I'll be working on it tomorrow and would look forward to your comments too.

BTW, when it does run, it gives a BEAUTIFUL cut!!!!!!!!

Thanks!
Bill

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
Could be a flaky coil too I guess. The only bad coils I've experienced just stopped, they weren't working then not. Still a good thing to check though. I'm sure the folks here will help you get this figured out.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I had an F engine 7229 that would start sometimes and sometimes not and it was the coil

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone!

I pulled the plug and it looked OK, but next time I go to use it, I'll check the spark.

I'll let you know what I find!

Anyone stocking-up on CD packs ;)

Thanks!
Bill

·
LAWN-BOY-AHOLIC
1,349 Posts
Check the engine stop contacts on the side of the engine that the bail cable activates. I had one of those go bad once and it no started. Next time it does it, remove the air filter and put a small amount of fuel in the carb venturi and then see if it starts. If it still does not start there is no spark I would bet. Could be the coil, but it may be the contacts or the plug lead, I have seen plugs go bad and be intermentant too so try a new plug. Good luck!

·
Administrator
21,220 Posts
My 10525 was doing that for about a year. I didn't use it regularly, so I just lived with it. Finally decided that enough was enough. Someone suggested on here to try a non-resistor plug, as if the coil gets weak, it takes more to fire a resistor plug than a non-resistor. Have not had a problem since.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Is the primer bulb split? Just a thought... I've seen that cause hard starting.
The bulb on my 10247 was split. I just replaced it this weekend. But I didn't try to start it, so I'll have to remember if it's different next time I go to use it. Right now I'm busy building an ark and collecting animals.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update!

I finally got around to trying this mower again and there is no spark. Looks like I need to get a new CD pack.

I saw another post with my question already asked, but only one reply - so I'll ask again with a couple of others too.

RCPW shows the LB coil and a lower cost alternative (with no name associated with it). Has anyone used the alternative or should I stick with the LB brand?

Anyone stocking-up on LB coils? I got plenty of 2 cycle LB oil, but no coils!

I know the Easy Stride and Personal Pace and the drives are the same between Toro and LB, but were the LB coils used on any other Toro engines?

Thanks!
Bill

·
LAWN-BOY-AHOLIC
1,349 Posts
The last couple of coils I got were off ebay for around $25 each, they seem to work fine. If you replace the primmer bulb, be sure to cut a small disc of air filter foam from a old filter, oil it and put it inside the bulb to stop fine dirt from migrating down to the carb bowl.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts