My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
20,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 Duraforce Gold machines. Nearly identical except 1 is electric start. Went to start them up today and neither would start. Will start with mower #1.

Have had a problem with the coil (at least I think that is the issue). Won't fire off when first pulled out of the shed 75% of the time. I can let it set while I weed eat and mow with the rider, come back, pull the rope and it'll fire first pull most of the time. Weird, but I'll just live with it. Anyway, I noticed that the primer bulb was disintegrating. I also noticed gas was leaking out pretty bad (never noticed this before). Took tank off the shroud and found a leak in the tank. Anyone have enough confidence in any sealant to suggest putting some on there to stop the leak? Suggestion as to the type I would use? Funny, if you've never looked at a Duraforce tank, almost looks like 2 pcs of plastic snapped together.

Probably going to get another coil in the future, but until I am totally convinced that's the problem I will hold off.

Thanks!

·
LBAD Victim
944 Posts
I would replace the coil. That is definitely your problem.

As far as the gas tank goes, I have had good luck with Seal All. It comes in a small yellow tube. It is amazing stuff.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree with Dan, seal all will work for a while but eventually you should probably replace your tank. If there's any mower repair shops/ junkyards around maybe you can get a used tank cheap. I know the guy near me charges like $5 for used tanks. If your mower is a 2001 model, they were actually recalled for the gas tank leaking. Not like it really matters, I just thought that was kinda interesting

If you need a new primer bulb, I'd advise spending a little more and buying a genuine toro/lb one. I bought a pack of the stens ones last year and as soon as gas hit them they get hard as a rock and unusable.

Like lawn toro said, the coil is definitely your problem with hot restarts. You can get an aftermarket coil on the bay for $12 or so and I have great luck with the ones I've bought.

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
When you say you have no spark, are you using a spark tester of some kind or just laying a spark plug on the engine for ground. The best spark tester I have found is the one that looks like a spark plug and has a alligator clip spot welded to it. It will show a spark and also when it jumps you will hear it snap if you listen carefully. If the primer bulb is cracked, the DuraForce engines are almost impossible to start cold. Maybe sitting in the sun for a while helps to start it. Always tear it down to the flywheel is exposed so you can remove the kill wire from the ignition module for final test of spark to eliminate wiring and kill switch. Also test without spark plug in cylinder so you can spin it a little faster. LawnBoy/Toro modules seem to be a lot better then the China knockoff ones.

·
LBAD Victim
944 Posts
When you say you have no spark, are you using a spark tester of some kind or just laying a spark plug on the engine for ground. The best spark tester I have found is the one that looks like a spark plug and has a alligator clip spot welded to it. It will show a spark and also when it jumps you will hear it snap if you listen carefully. If the primer bulb is cracked, the DuraForce engines are almost impossible to start cold. Maybe sitting in the sun for a while helps to start it. Always tear it down to the flywheel is exposed so you can remove the kill wire from the ignition module for final test of spark to eliminate wiring and kill switch. Also test without spark plug in cylinder so you can spin it a little faster. LawnBoy/Toro modules seem to be a lot better then the China knockoff ones.

I have never had an issue with a cracked primer bulb causing a hard start condition. I can typically start my Duraforce within 2 pulls with only the choke when it is cold.

·
Senior MTF Poster
12,810 Posts
Flush the tank with water, find a pc. of similar plastic, use a soldering gun to "Plastic weld" the leak. Don't melt thru. Flush tank with a little fresh gas and reinstall.

Walt Conner

·
Administrator
20,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Flush the tank with water, find a pc. of similar plastic, use a soldering gun to "Plastic weld" the leak. Don't melt thru. Flush tank with a little fresh gas and reinstall.

Walt Conner
Excellent suggestion. Going to give this a try. I should be able to make that work. Thank-you!

(What do you think the results would be if I didn't flush the tank and used a propane soldering iron? Probably not too good.....)

·
5K Poster!!!
5,131 Posts
When your duraforce won't start again, push it into a sunny spot and let it warm in the sun an hour or so, if it starts, its the chronically fail prone coil.. Thats what I have to do with mine... once its running its fine. Those coils on the duraforce were pitiful.

·
Administrator
20,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When your duraforce won't start again, push it into a sunny spot and let it warm in the sun an hour or so, if it starts, its the chronically fail prone coil.. Thats what I have to do with mine... once its running its fine. Those coils on the duraforce were pitiful.
I have done the old 200* for an hour in the oven trick before. I may try that with the coil from the Duraforce Problem #2 I mentioned. That's kind of why I wondered about all the humidity we've been having, if that was maybe a factor. Oh, well, something to keep me out of the pool hall!

·
Senior MTF Poster
12,810 Posts
Excellent suggestion. Going to give this a try. I should be able to make that work. Thank-you!

(What do you think the results would be if I didn't flush the tank and used a propane soldering iron? Probably not too good.....)
- - -
Probably would solve your leak problem - - permanently.

Walt Conner

·
Administrator
20,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I sealed the cap off with a latex glove and blew into the gas outlet to see exactly where the leak was. Whole top of the seam appeared to be split about 3" long. I used the sealant, giving it 3 layers to get a good seal. Put everything back together today, threw some gas in, primer now seems to work. Fired right up. Problems with #1 temporarily solved!

May invest in another coil just to have on the shelf.

Thanks for suggestions!

·
5,206 Posts
Looks like those tanks can be had new, shipped, for $35.00 on eBay. Might be worth checking a local dealer to get a price. My Toro dealer knows I try to shop local when I can and will try to match an online price if possible, or at least get close. Glad you got it fixed, for now. Bill

1 - 13 of 13 Posts