My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I am putting together this 22261 clone project I decided to try a couple mods to see if it helps with the sticking governor vane issue. To start with I purchased a 6 ft length of 304 stainless 5/16 OD stainless tubing and cut out two tight fitting spacers to fit between the flanges where the bolts go through. I am trying this to see if it helps prevent tweaking the body when tightening it down. They fit real tight, no slack.
Second idea I have is to use 3 of those thin heat shields, each with a gasket between each other. It shouldnt be enough of a gap to cause sealing issues and would act more like a heat SINK rather than just a heat shield.

Pay no attention to the bolt position right now, I just set them in there to make sure they aligned properly and went fully through for now.

Thoughts? Am I crazy? :D

·
5,538 Posts
Not having worked on many Duraforce models I wasn't quite sure what you were showing however after looking at some pictures on eBay of Duraforce carbs I can see where those spacers would be of great benefit to prevent distortion of the carb body and binding of the air vane. Nice job! Bill

·
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, I may put this on my finished 22261 so I can try it out without having to use the new clone on grass after painting it all up. One Thing I missed on my Duraforces was the governor kicking in when loaded. Ive always just ran the engine speed up and slowed down in heavy wet grass, even stopping. Shouldnt have to be that way. Ive only heard that 2 stroke hunker down on a Duraforce a few times.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
i have put them tru their paces many times at work. I had a towing company inpound yard that I mowed that was bahia grass and would get quite tall between mowings. I took my 22261 there to test sometimes. between the gov working overtime and the re-jetted carb -it went tru gas at an alarming rate. the big gas tank was actually usefull . lol. of all the 2 strokes I have owned -the most powerfull under full load was the techumseh tvsxl 840

·
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fortunately I only have my two lawns to maintain but the vacant house does get pretty long especially in May, our wet month. Sometimes I am less than motivated to load up the mower and get over there. Its been vacant for 5 years. I guess I should just sell it. Been waiting for retirement when I can get more "round tuits" :D

·
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I dug out the old 22261 clone project from 13 years ago. Good grief how the years fly by. I parked it about 8 years ago to use my 6255 for awhile and never used it again. Im going to use it as a test platform for the carb mod so I wont have to use my new 22261 clone project in the dirt and grass just to test it. The old boy still looks pretty good. Ill probably do a refresh on it after I get the second one finished.

·
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts