My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
LAWN-BOY-AHOLIC
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read and commented on several posts regarding the grade of gasoline needed in our LB's. Many here like to use the higher octane fuel even though LB recomends against it. I have read in the LB service manuals that premium fuel is not recomended by LB with a minimum of 85 octane to be used if memory serves me. I am one of those "more is better" kind of guys so during an "Idle time" I got to thinking how would a DF run on a kerosine and oil mix? Having some K-! kerosine I set up an experiment. I warmed up a DF for about 20min. on regular mix just to make sure it was up to temp. then I let the tank run dry. I mixed up 8oz. of 32 to 1 fuel mix with the K-1 poured it in, waited a couple of minutes for the fuel to reach the carb and then primed it and pulled the rope. Mr. DF fired right up and ran like it always does on my 87 octane gas mix. Now it had a kerosine lantern smell and would put out a slight gray smoke when the governor opened up but it ran the same speed and cut the tall grass just fine with no unusual sounds from the engine using this new fuel.

Needless to say I am not going to start buying kerosine for my LB's but at 5.8 to 1 compression ratio they just don't require high octane gas to run fine. Actually the oil companies add some pretty nasty stuff to the gas to get the octane up, additives that might be hard on the rubber, plastic, and cork parts of the LB fuel systems.

I am letting it cool down to see if there is any hard starting involved with a cold start using the Kerosine mix. I will post any observations later.:thThumbsU

You know, I think I saw some Diesel fuel in the shed...... :Stop:

·
LAWN-BOY-AHOLIC
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just got in from trying a cold start with the kerosine mix, it was a no-go. Not even a pop! So it looks like you need the high ends to get the mix to "light up", a pre-heated engine does not need these high end solvents to aid with starting combustion so it seems.

I predict that Diesel fuel would have the same results, only stinkier!

I have purged the Kerosine mix out of the fuel system and all is well.

Think I will leave the kerosine to the jet engines! :thThumbsU

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Interesting, never would have thought you could run one on kerosene!?

I've been running premium in all my 2 stroke handheld equipment for a number of years, I have a lawn service and we run thru about 2.5 gallons a week. I've ran regular before and sometimes have issues in the heat, and sometimes don't. I seem to have less issues with the heat and hard starting running on premium. Of course this is on trimmers, edgers, blowers... When I started the LB collection I've just been using the same premium fuel with LB oil. Today halfway through my lawn I ran out of fuel in my 8237 (F-140 engine) and decided to compare how it ran between the LB oil mix and my 100:1 Opti-2 mix. Frankly I couldn't tell much a difference other than when the mower was at no load (not cutting but running) the RPM's seemed to be higher. When cutting the RPM's sounded like they were dropping to about the same level. I was mulching, and that little F-140 really dosn't have the ponies to mulch a lot... I think I still need to lean it down a fuzz though, still has more sputter than clean running to it, I'm just a little sketchy on leaning it down to far and not getting proper lubrication.

I will probably start using reg. unleaded for my LB mix now... After all the talk about the extra octane not being needed and possibly causing a problem I don't want to risk it on my collection, they are all way too nice to be damaged!

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,787 Posts
Thats plain scarey :Stop:

·
LAWN-BOY-AHOLIC
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting, never would have thought you could run one on kerosene!?

I've been running premium in all my 2 stroke handheld equipment for a number of years, I have a lawn service and we run thru about 2.5 gallons a week. I've ran regular before and sometimes have issues in the heat, and sometimes don't. I seem to have less issues with the heat and hard starting running on premium. Of course this is on trimmers, edgers, blowers... When I started the LB collection I've just been using the same premium fuel with LB oil. Today halfway through my lawn I ran out of fuel in my 8237 (F-140 engine) and decided to compare how it ran between the LB oil mix and my 100:1 Opti-2 mix. Frankly I couldn't tell much a difference other than when the mower was at no load (not cutting but running) the RPM's seemed to be higher. When cutting the RPM's sounded like they were dropping to about the same level. I was mulching, and that little F-140 really dosn't have the ponies to mulch a lot... I think I still need to lean it down a fuzz though, still has more sputter than clean running to it, I'm just a little sketchy on leaning it down to far and not getting proper lubrication.

I will probably start using reg. unleaded for my LB mix now... After all the talk about the extra octane not being needed and possibly causing a problem I don't want to risk it on my collection, they are all way too nice to be damaged!
For my high compression two-cycles like chainsaws, blowers, and trimmers I run 91 octaine or higher if I can get it. Keeping the fuel fresh ans sealed against water absorbtion is the most important thing in my book. I must say that I am not a fan of high oil ratios due to the fact that I use so little fuel mix these days. I don't see the carbon issue as a problem in my two-cycle engines.

·
LAWN-BOY-AHOLIC
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats plain scarey :Stop:
Ford, I just wanted to test my theory that low compression LB engines like the DF don't need the higher octane fuels to run and perform their job. However they do need the high flash point solvents to enable the engine to ignite the lower flash point fuel in a cold engine. When I mowed the grass with the Kerosine mix the engine ran just fine, but I didn't care for the smell of the kerosine, it reminded me of camping with my buds when I was a boy with a kerosine lantren. :)

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,787 Posts
If you could perfect the blend it could make you millions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts