My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
motorcycle cowboy
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, that's what I'm considering. I bought it at a great price and it does a great job, but I recently bought a quick hitch for my x750 and I want to utilize that as much as possible. A tractor shovel would help me do that and I'd utilize the front blade too. A grapple purchase is also in the long range plans. I've been able to use the CTC loader a few times but really not enough to justify the purchase. Everything that I've done with the loader I could have done with the shovel with the exception of the loader height. I'd probably miss the FEL but enough that I'd be sorry? Not sure. I think a shovel is about all I need. You guys that have the tractor shovel, how's that working for you?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I would keep it. But that is just me. No experience with the tractor shovel but I am heavily loader biased.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got the tractor shovel on my X738. It's good for moving around loose material. It's not much use for 'digging' - the way it's designed just doesn't allow it. I couldn't justify the cost of an FEL, so I went with the tractor shovel. So far, it's worked fine for the jobs I've had.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'd see going from a loader to the shovel as a huge downgrade. I know I would be lost without mine.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
I've had a lot of loaders and one JD shovel. There is no comparison. The JD shovel is a cute idea for an urban lawnmower to use to move sand from one part of the yard to the other. I bought mine for $250 and I thought I got screwed. I did sell it for $400 so I guess it was ok. Don't do it. That is my advice. If you must get something smaller get a Buford Bucket. At least with it, you can actually dig and lift heavy things that will otherwise kill your back.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
If I had an X7xx I'd probably stick with an FEL or Buford Bucket. Since my X530 can't use either, I've been thinking of the JD Shovel. I'm also considering the Johnny Bucket Jr. Not sure which is better.
Question, can the mower deck be left on with the JD and the JBJr?

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
The deck can be left on with the shovel. I would imagine the JB can too. Neither uses the deck drive mechanism to operate. They are both bolt-on.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
The deck can be left on with the shovel. I would imagine the JB can too. Neither uses the deck drive mechanism to operate. They are both bolt-on.
Thanks inspectorudy.

Another question: I have the 48" Blade and 47" Blower. They both use the same quickhitch. Will the JD Shovel attachment hardware interfere with the quickhitch?

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
I have never owned or used a quick hitch but the shovel is designed to bolt onto the holes in the frame of the tractor. If those holes are replicated on the hitch then it should fit. Something tells me it won't.

·
Super Moderator
15,426 Posts
Yes, that's what I'm considering. I bought it at a great price and it does a great job, but I recently bought a quick hitch for my x750 and I want to utilize that as much as possible. A tractor shovel would help me do that and I'd utilize the front blade too. A grapple purchase is also in the long range plans. I've been able to use the CTC loader a few times but really not enough to justify the purchase. Everything that I've done with the loader I could have done with the shovel with the exception of the loader height. I'd probably miss the FEL but enough that I'd be sorry? Not sure. I think a shovel is about all I need. You guys that have the tractor shovel, how's that working for you?
If You going to get rid of the Loader go with a Johnny Bucket Sr Because keep In Mind with the Tractor shovel You Have to switch the angle cylinder Back and Forth On You quick Hitch at least with the Johnny Bucket Sr you can still dig and the Sr mounts Just Like the quick hitch to the Tractor in the same Location. But I would Just Keep the FEL (y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would like a ctc loader for my x728. I actually just joined so I could reply to your post. If you decide to sell I am sure there will be plenty of interest. Contact me if/when it goes for sale. My advice would be keep it. Somehow things get heavier as time passes. I have a 25 year old snow blower that I struggled to pay for and thats one of those pieces of equipment that does not get used much, BUT when you need it, then it is worth its weight in gold. The small shovels dont come close to a FEL.

·
motorcycle cowboy
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would like a ctc loader for my x728. I actually just joined so I could reply to your post. If you decide to sell I am sure there will be plenty of interest. Contact me if/when it goes for sale. My advice would be keep it. Somehow things get heavier as time passes. I have a 25 year old snow blower that I struggled to pay for and thats one of those pieces of equipment that does not get used much, BUT when you need it, then it is worth its weight in gold. The small shovels dont come close to a FEL.
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure there would be lots of interest as used CTC loaders are few. I've already had some PM's about it. Votes are 7-1 to keep it and I'm leaning that way. It's certainly a handy piece of equipment to have and use.

·
Registered
25 Posts
[I have never owned or used a quick hitch but the shovel is designed to bolt onto the holes in the frame of the tractor. If those holes are replicated on the hitch then it should fit. Something tells me it won't.]

[Another question: I have the 48" Blade and 47" Blower. They both use the same quickhitch. Will the JD Shovel attachment hardware interfere with the quickhitch? ]

Actually, the tractor shovel bolts onto the 54" blade, and the whole assembly is attached to the Quickhitch the same as the blade alone, the broom, or the blower. The angle hydraulic cylinder is relocated and controls the opening and closing of the shovel. The design of the assembly is not robust enough to allow any significant 'digging', so if that's what you need the tractor shovel isn't going to make you very happy. It's made to move around loose material like mulch, dirt, and gravel. It works fine for snow removal as well, but you give up the ability to angle the blade if the shovel is in place.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
I've been doing some research since my last post and have made my decision, based on the opinions of the many good folks here on the John Deere Forum, and the great advice given right here in this discussion and to rooster shooter for starting this.
As I said previously, if I had an X7xx machine, I'd go for an FEL or the Buford Bucket.
For my X530, the Johnny Bucket Jr wins hands down over the JD 40" Tractor Shovel.
The JD is less expensive, but, based on performance, the JB wins every time.
I'll be ordering my Johnny Bucket very soon!

·
motorcycle cowboy
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I suppose this wet winter had got me to thinking about selling the FEL. No action in the seat and the loader just sitting there. As I said earlier, I bought a quick hitch recently and the only time that I canutilize that is when I use my thatcher. Not much snow here in East Tennessee but occasionally we do get one or two inches, so a front blade would not be used that much, then I thought well if I had a blade I could buy a tractor shovel and...well you get the picture. But the ability of a FEL far out weighs the shovel, so for now at least I'll be keeping the loader. There's a couple projects that I can still use it on. Thanks to everyone for weighing in.

·
Premium Member
6,126 Posts
I suppose this wet winter had got me to thinking about selling the FEL. No action in the seat and the loader just sitting there. As I said earlier, I bought a quick hitch recently and the only time that I canutilize that is when I use my thatcher. Not much snow here in East Tennessee but occasionally we do get one or two inches, so a front blade would not be used that much, then I thought well if I had a blade I could buy a tractor shovel and...well you get the picture. But the ability of a FEL far out weighs the shovel, so for now at least I'll be keeping the loader. There's a couple projects that I can still use it on. Thanks to everyone for weighing in.
Did you have a Buford Bucket before the CTC Loader?

·
motorcycle cowboy
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Super Moderator
15,426 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts