My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a JD 165 hydro for cheap cause it had a couple broken belts. I replaced all 3 belts and when I fired it up, it almost took off on me. I realized the forward/reverse lever was in the forward position and it was moving without pressing the pedal. Is the brake/neutral pedal on the 165 supposed to also be a forward/reverse pedal like on most hydro tractors or do they normally just go when you put the lever in forward or reverse? I’m assuming there might be an adjustment somewhere but I can’t find it.

I also noticed the brake doesn’t work anymore since I dropped the axle down a little to replace the hydro fan. Hoping I didn’t mess something up with that…it was working fine before.

Any help is much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
8,733 Posts
There probably should be some electrical safeties that should prevent it from happening (ie, so you can't start it without everything set to a "neutral" position") that you might want to restore... JD makes their owners manual available for free as a pdf download from their website, that might help with telling you how it should work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There probably should be some electrical safeties that should prevent it from happening (ie, so you can't start it without everything set to a "neutral" position") that you might want to restore... JD makes their owners manual available for free as a pdf download from their website, that might help with telling you how it should work.
It looks like the previous owner bypassed a lot of safety switches lol after some research I see the pedal is just clutch/brake. Interesting design I suppose, not sure if I’m a fan. Now to just figure out what I did to the brake.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have a PDF of the Deere tech manual you're welcome to, if wanted, shoot me a message with your email

Joe

Reactions: The German
1 - 4 of 4 Posts