My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I looked online for 30 min and could not describe a search term to bring up anything. All i was able to get is this which is deemed "snapper cotter pin" because it goes with a Snapper product.

Was in TSC today and they didn't have any, guy tried to help, said he has seen them before but no idea where to source.

I'm not even sure they're necessary. Lost a bunch. First 2 were for the front retaining bracket that attaches to JD mower deck to hold the deck up, I know you know what I'm talking about. You remove them from the front bracket where it attaches to the frame every time you take the deck off.

Others were for my Johnny bucket and plow. Now I'm sure a clevis pin would work and yea I could get the part from a deere dealer for 100% markup but if I wanted to replace them with the same style what in the heck do I search for?

·
Premium Member
5,514 Posts
calls it a Cotter Pin, Self-locking

I would probably buy some for stuff I repair/make, but nobody locally has them. I generally use an R-clip/R-pin instead (for holes up to about 1/8" or so)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
calls it a Cotter Pin, Self-locking

I would probably buy some for stuff I repair/make, but nobody locally has them. I generally use an R-clip/R-pin instead (for holes up to about 1/8" or so)
Yea i mean that's what i thought. the circle clip is just "extra" security if you wanna call it that. Figured I'd try to find some of the same type if I could but seems they're an anomaly between Lowes, HD, TSC and even my local Zettler/Ace.

Lol at $1.79 apiece, no thank you sir.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,893 Posts
Yea i mean that's what i thought. the circle clip is just "extra" security if you wanna call it that. Figured I'd try to find some of the same type if I could but seems they're an anomaly between Lowes, HD, TSC and even my local Zettler/Ace.

Lol at $1.79 apiece, no thank you sir.
Sounds like you’ve gone through more than $10 in frustration. That’s 5 pins worth.

·
Premium Member
8,254 Posts
John Deere uses them on the front deck hanger for the X300 and X500 series tractors. Any John Deere dealer should have a bunch of them in stock. If the ones that JD has for the deck hangers are the wrong size, McMaster-Carr carries them also in a bunch of sizes:

self-locking cotter pin at McaMaster Carr

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like you’ve gone through more than $10 in frustration. That’s 5 pins worth.
you make a good point sir

Will reference this thread to purchase 10 of them soon.

I just have a funny feeling they're $3.00 at the dealer.

·
Premium Member
6,902 Posts
.48$ each is what I payed. I get warm fuzzing feeling how easy driving thru tall weeds and brush pull these out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
7,013 Posts
.48$ each is what I payed. I get warm fuzzing feeling how easy driving thru tall weeds and brush pull these out
Yep, lost more than I care to count before switching over to cotter pins.

Reactions: Sevenhills1952

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
That's part M154221. About $1 at greenpartstore.com.
Checked my local dealer online site. Found them for $1.87.
greenpartstore looks to be the better price place at $.92.

I’ve never lost one so never had to think through this. As said, if they are lost that easily, they’re either not installed correctly or very bent. The linch pins are very good, but they typically have a larger pin diameter.

·
Premium Member
8,254 Posts
I use my X500 to mow my back field regularly, and I usually go 3 to 6 weeks between mowings, so the weeds and even small "tree of heaven" saplings are usually a foot high or taller, and I have never lost one. Are you installing them with the end loop toward the front or the rear? Mine came from the factory with the loops toward the front and that is how I've always reinstalled them when putting the mower deck on. I guess I could see that if you install them from the opposite end where the loop was toward the rear then they might get pulled out if they caught on something. I did lose one once when the deck and hanger were in the garage for the winter while I had the snow plow installed, so I bought two replacements at the dealership and I still have the extra one as a spare.

Reactions: bontai Joe

·
Super Moderator
17,033 Posts
They're called "trash-can and install real clips" clips.
I saw something similar but I like the old standard R clips to remove easily, or just cutter pins otherwise. View attachment 2493759 View attachment 2493760

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk
I do the same thing On My Deere's and Cub Cadets I always replace them with Your traditional R clips except for some On My JD2025R 3point Hitch since there so easy to access right on the rocker shaft (y)

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Hmm, in the 14 years I had Deere machines, I have never lost a single one of those pins. My X300 had at least 4 of them and it has been through much thick stuff. I have lost a few of the more standard locking R pins. They are much easier to remove. That is great when you want to remove them, not so great when you really need them to stay in place.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts