My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally Pulled this weekend off. My son and I regularly pick an adventure for Father's Day weekend. Well this year I'll be cruising the Rhine on Father's Day, so my son and I planned our adventure the weekend before. We finally got aligned with some weather for a weekend cruising the un-paved roads (State Forest roads, State Park roads, fire roads, fracking roads, powerlines, roads to nowhere for future rescue options, trails that aren't really roads) this past weekend. We put over 150 miles off asphalt in two days of riding from my cabin in the mountains.

Started Friday morning with Son, Scout, trailer loaded and headed north. First stop at halfway point for fuel for us, truck, spare can of 93 Octane for motorcycles, and a nature break for Scout.

Made good time, got to the cabin, opened it up, unloaded the motorcycles, stretched Scout's legs so he would be ready for the important job of securing the site while we rode. All set:

First explore was a road I walk into the woods regularly during December hunting season. This is an old logging road that has grown over and leads to a powerline about 4 miles from hard road.

Then another mile or so on the Power line: (Longish video of pretty redundant scenery, you'll get the idea pretty quick)

Took off for an afternoon and evening of just exploring. Found an awesome little trail with a marker designating it "Passable - But Travel at your own Risk"

Then more State Park gravel to Hyner View State Park (razors and combs optional at our camp)

Followed by another tour to yet another vista called Lebo Vista:

Son has a head start on me on the beard

As I said, lots of interesting roads to nowhere, to dead end, and to closed gate (typically snow mobile trails closed to other motorized vehicles).

And, on to yet another cool overlook called Spur Vista. Just the XT250 this time - no riders:

In case you are concerned that Scout had to sit in the cabin all weekend, we got out for some hiking. Here he was watching a doe that kept circling us and snorting. Kept at it for about 10 minutes, I suspect there was a fawn in the tall grass somewhere, and she wanted us gone. But it was the only place with cell signal for miles around, and I was checking with my wife. Got to always know what I'm doing wrong.

After a long day, in saddle and in the grass, two of us were in desperate need of some comfortable old couch time:

I've got more video, but not enough editing time. I'll get it and add to this thread. Thanks for following my adventures.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Two more video for those of you with a patient mouse finger:

A ride from the West Branch Nature Conservancy to a little cabin in the Sproul State Forest called Buck Snort Camp:

And, then a ride up from Rattle Snake trail to the Sugar Camp road and a few more cabins with actual double track access:

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What a great weekend, breakfasts cooked together with my son, lunches on the grill, and dinners at the world famous Pat Reeder's Tavern. But, the weather stayed true to this season, and we woke to pouring rain Sunday morning, with a forecast of rain for about 36 hours we packed up quickly and headed home. Passed a bunch of vehicles loaded with kayaks, mountain bikes, canoes, motorcycles, and dragging campers. I assume they were all looking for sunshine too.

Thanks to Sheetz, a fast fuel stop in this part of PA for quick gas, food, restrooms, and in this case, a canopy we could check our straps under:

Can't wait to get back out there!

·
I'll never get to 10,000
4,823 Posts
Looks like a good time was had. WE had no rain just northeast of you, sorry about that>

·
Administrator
7,068 Posts
Great pictures, video and scenery Jere!! Father and son dirt biking trips are the best. Looks like you guys had a great time. Thanks for sharing!

P.S., have you shared any of your ride reports on ADV Rider before? They love this kind of stuff there. :)

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Austen, Thanks for the comment, and sorry for the delayed reply. You posted on the first day of my anniversary trip to Europe with my wife. Just getting back to various chores, like an over-grown lawn, and catching up on my MTF posts.

To be specific, I have not posted to ADV Rider, actually never heard of it. I do track rides with Revel app on my cell phone, then upload to their community. The tracking is a little sketchy when riding where there is no cell signal, but surprisingly better than I would have guessed. I'll do some googling and learn more about ADV Rider. Truth be told, I hardly need another site to monitor/contribute since I have committed to MTF, a Tacoma forum, and an ATV forum. Maybe I should bail on the ATV and join a motorcycle forum.

Thanks again, appreciate your comments.

·
Administrator
7,068 Posts
Austen, Thanks for the comment, and sorry for the delayed reply. You posted on the first day of my anniversary trip to Europe with my wife. Just getting back to various chores, like an over-grown lawn, and catching up on my MTF posts.

To be specific, I have not posted to ADV Rider, actually never heard of it. I do track rides with Revel app on my cell phone, then upload to their community. The tracking is a little sketchy when riding where there is no cell signal, but surprisingly better than I would have guessed. I'll do some googling and learn more about ADV Rider. Truth be told, I hardly need another site to monitor/contribute since I have committed to MTF, a Tacoma forum, and an ATV forum. Maybe I should bail on the ATV and join a motorcycle forum.

No worries my friend, sounds like quite the trip! :tango_face_glasses:

Ah, yes, I'm definitely in the same boat as you when it comes to trying to keep up with forums. :rolleyes:

I actually hadn't of heard of the app you mentioned! We both learned something new!

Looking forward to your next ride report. :)

·
Super Moderator
31,281 Posts
Looks like a fun trip. Last time I did some fireroad riding was back in the early 90's and it was on one of those huge BMW GS PD motorcycles. It handled it fine, but I gotta say a smaller bike would have eased my nerves a bit. Im really liking the idea of getting something like a old school scrambler...

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

To be specific, I have not posted to ADV Rider, actually never heard of it. I do track rides with Rever app on my cell phone, then upload to their community. The tracking is a little sketchy when riding where there is no cell signal, but surprisingly better than I would have guessed. I'll do some googling and learn more about ADV Rider. Truth be told, I hardly need another site to monitor/contribute since I have committed to MTF, a Tacoma forum, and an ATV forum. Maybe I should bail on the ATV and join a motorcycle forum.

Too late for an edit, so I quoted myself, and corrected the name of the app in Red. It is REVER, not REVEL. Sorry Austen in case you were looking for it.

Jere

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Summer time, and the livin is easy - but evidently, time to post is hard to come by. Well, I am still riding, and still posting. Didn't have time for a weekend trip, so we put the dual back in our Dual Sports and rode the local back roads to a nearby Marsh Creek State Park in the sunshine!

Attachments

·
Parts collector
2,775 Posts
awesome! I used to go through that area when I hunted in Potter county. Now I hunt/vacation in Huntingdon county. I might have to haul the Harley up and take the wife and I on a ride around there.

Great pics!

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Towed the motorcycles to the farm I grew up on in western Lancaster County, then took a meandering jaunt down along the Susquehanna River with my son for some Memorial weekend sunshine:

Stopped at my Dad's Widow's place high above the Safe Harbor ***: <- You'll have to guess based on the picture

Then even higher to the Pinnacle above the Holtwood ***: <- Guess again

Had the low fuel light come on while climbing up to this overlook. If any of you know the area, you know we were a little remote. But mostly down hill to Quarryville and the friendly support of a Turkey Hill!

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Had a great time, exploring the area I grew up in. That picture while being very good, is one I took of my Son. I'll suggest he add it as his avatar for some interest site he enjoys. Meanwhile, here is one he took of me:

And, this is a quick picture in front of a cemetary. 60 years ago, this cemetary was in the woods, and was a scary place to play around. In the intervening years the woods has been cleared, a road passes perilously close by, and a little housing as sprung up. Still, it's there and on my roots tour:

And from the boat basin at the mouth of the Pequea Creek into the Susquehanna:

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My son is very generous with his time, and traveled with me again this year for another Father's Day adventure back at our cabin in the mountains. Turns out this weekend also incorporated Flag Day, so we enjoyed our time, and shared the spirit of the day.

Started on the overlook called Hyner View. Where there is some spectacular scenery of the north central PA mountains:

It was very windy on the point, but we found a young couple and their pups braving the winds to take our picture there with the Flag:

Much of our exploring involved scenery pretty much identical to what I posted this time last year. Here is another picture from one of the few spots along this particular trail where I could balance my Yamaha on the kick stand and step back for a picture of my son:

There is no trip to this cabin that does not involve some sort of maintenance item, and with reports of a violent hail storm last week, I was on the roof for an inspection - and to show the colors:

It needs repairs (see attached below if you are interested)

And, finally, I reached out and snapped a selfie at the end of a ridgeline we rode to on a powerline:

Sadly, my GoPro ran out of battery early in the weekend, and I found I did not bring a proper cable to charge it. Of course, that saves there being evidence of my taking two tumbles when I was in mud ruts deeper than the pegs and caught the side and laid the bike down gracefully, while executing a safe roll, more or less avoiding most of the mud, at least from the knees up.

Attachments

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GoPro video from before the battery died. This is about 5 minutes of me attempting to ride the center hump of a track across the top of a mountain on a Powerline. My attempt to avoid the deep ruts from the 4wd vehicles that sometimes drive out here was well intentioned. I prefer to avoid mud. If you are patient enough to watch this 5 minute video you will see I was not totally successful:

·
Administrator
13,479 Posts
More great quality time for you and your son. :fing32: Glad you survived that spill uninjured.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the comments. Enjoyed the entire weekend - these are very special times with my son - best Father's Day present he could ever give is his time spent with me. Now, in case anyone is interested in the beginning of our weekend, here is an almost 10 minute video from where we left the gravel Fracking road on thru the old logging trail onto the powerline and out to the end:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts