My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I may have asked this before but I forgot ( I have CRS) What is the speed difference between cable and DSL?
Rodster

·
m-ODD-r8r
2,357 Posts
In general, cable is faster than DSL. It's also more readily available than DSL (something about a maximum distance from a telephone 'station'/whatever).

My download speed is ~4Mb/s. Most DSL is around 1Mb/s.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Cable generally offers greater speed that DSL. But some will say DSL speeds are more consistent.

DSL ranges from 256kb to 3.0 mb/s. I've been subscribing to 768/128 for almost five years, and I am happy with the service. Like anything else, sometimes I wish it was faster, but for just browsing it is just fine.

You will get varying opinions which service is better. Most have to do with the provider. Here's a good link. BroadbandReports.com

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
I just got DSL from Verizon...and love it. Could never go back to dial-up. It also opens doors up to easy networking in the home.

My speed runs about 1400/380 pretty consistantly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The 2 main differences are:

1.) With DSL you are buying unshared bandwidth (to a certain extent). Cable is shared at at least your neighborhood level.

2.) Cable does not suffer the distance limitations DSL, therefore making it more widely available.

About point #1, ALL bandwidth is shared at one point in the pipe or another. with DSL you are buying unshared speed to the (let's say) Verizon "system". In this case you should get very close to your speed caps to anything Verizon hosts. With cable, you are on a local node type system. You are running shared bandwidth with your neighbors and there is no guarantee of speed you'll receive. I've been lucky with Comcast and have not been in an area that has been oversubscribed, but I have heard the horror stories.

I am on Comcast's new Gold service. 6.3mbps downstream / 768 kbps upstream. I consistantly get 6.1 and 700. Pretty good for $52.95

Hope I didn't confuse anyone, especially myself. ;)

Regards,

Mark

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Greg said:
Excellent information and explaination, Mark.

Even I understood it...!! :woohoo1:
The main thing I gathered from that is Mark's cable connection SMOKES!

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
What could one do if one lives in an area with no cable or DSL ??? Do you think I will be stuck with land-line service forever....My best speed is 26.4

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
Kbeitz said:
What could one do if one lives in an area with no cable or DSL ??? Do you think I will be stuck with land-line service forever....My best speed is 26.4

we were like that where i live too.. finally they got cable out here for fast connection.. before that it was dialyp id connect at 24 something or sometimes 26

its nice to have the speed of the digital cable... just not the bills from cable.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Kbeitz said:
Sounds like Satellite Internet is your only other option at this time It generally has a higher initial cost and a higher monthly cost than the "land based" services. You also will hear more differing opinions on the quality or reliability of this service. Nevertheless, it is a better alternative to dial-up.

Keweenaw4410 has Starband satellite service and is happy with it as I recall.

I might have to go this route when I move out to the country. Starband is what I will look at first, as I have heard of others who like it, too.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Kbeitz said:
Probably the only other option you'd have would be satellite internet service through someone like DirecTV. I don't have it, so I couldn't speak to its speed. All I know is it is expensive as all get out.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
How Fast

Not sure how fast but my cable connection is fast. I go from page to page instantaniously. I was at my brother's house and he is on dial up with his MACS and I almost forgot what a load bar looked like.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
MowHoward2210 said:
Sounds like Satellite Internet is your only other option at this time It generally has a higher initial cost and a higher monthly cost than the "land based" services. You also will hear more differing opinions on the quality or reliability of this service. Nevertheless, it is a better alternative to dial-up.

Keweenaw4410 has Starband satellite service and is happy with it as I recall.

I might have to go this route when I move out to the country. Starband is what I will look at first, as I have heard of others who like it, too.
I'm Keweenaw4310. Wish I was 4410, could use the extra HP sometimes.

Only satellite & dialup - those are my options where I live. I chose Starband as my satellite internet. Looked into DirectWay. Their tech support told me that my VPN software (virtual private network) that I use for work, would not work over their service. That eliminated them right out of the gate. Would have to be on dialup if that was the case.

Then Starband Tech support told me that VPN is no problem - slower than it would be over cable or DSL but would work faster than dialup. It works fine. Still wish I could get faster upload speed but for where I live, I feel lucky to have this as an option.

It's costing me $50.00/month right now. Can be 600-700.00 to get into the hardware to start off. I use it to provide internet connectivity to 4 computers in my house over a small network and would never go back to dialup.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Keweenaw4310 said:
I'm Keweenaw4310. Wish I was 4410, could use the extra HP sometimes.
< snip >
Whoops! Feel free to call me MowHowardModelB. :bonk:

·
Off Hiatus.
1,123 Posts
is there anyway to get internet service without a phone line or cable? I have my nextel paid for by the company, thus don't need a home phone, and steal cable from the neighbor...so i don't really see how the addition of an extra bill would benefit me. However i'm leaving this job and my internet as well then...and ideaers?

What about this wireless business...there is a factory below my apartment that has internet...if i sneek in one of those wireless routers will it go far enough?

·
m-ODD-r8r
2,357 Posts
kubotachick said:
What about this wireless business...there is a factory below my apartment that has internet...if i sneek in one of those wireless routers will it go far enough?
Forget sneaking. Ask 'em if they'll sell you part of their bandwidth. You'd probably have to be willing to provide the hardware, but you could do it pretty cheap if you're willing to use 802.11b instead of the faster 'g'. As long as the floor's not concrete & rebar you'd get pretty good reception.

-=A=-

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Your neighbor would need to have an wireless access point (router) and his SSID broadcasting all the things you need to hear. Get yourself a wireless computer "G" and you will be surfing in no time....But if you know thy neighbor, its better to ask him and then have him secure his AP to only have your MAC address and his....so only you guys can use the airwaves on his dime..

A way to screw somebody is to download via wireless all the MP3 & DVD or ripped movies to their IP address....You can attract enough attention
using the P2P networks that are being hunted by the Music and movie industry. Soon enough they will recieve a summons after pressure is applied to the ISP provider to cough up the details....think it dont happen? Think again :)

Ducati

·
Off Hiatus.
1,123 Posts
sell their bandwidth? What does that mean?

Oh yeah, i don't want to STEAL it, i just want to borrow it. Its pretty convenient that their office is right under my living room, so it shouldn't be that bad...any idea of how much those reciever sender roter things cost?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts