My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Brand new to this forum. Actually it's my very first forum I've ever been a part of.

I have a 5 year old DS4510 Kioti tractor. Although I am mechanically inclined I'm not a mechanic so I'll try and explain my issue as best as I can.

I turn the ignition left to activate the glow plugs. Then right and the tractor normally starts up quickly.

When I activate the glow plugs I hear a click from under the hood and the glow plug light indicator on the dash lights up. Another click when I deactivate the glow plug warmer by turning the key back to the right.

I always get whitish smoke from the exhaust on a cold start anyting below 15F? Is this normal?

Next issue my tractor is not starting. When turning key left to activate glow plugs I hear that distinct click and a second later another click which I have never heard before (normally click on and then click off. It's two clicks when on). The dash indicator light is still on however. I turn the key to crank the engine and it just cranks and cranks and cranks no ignition.

This is my first tractor and I was told by the previous owner when the temperatures are below 14F to preheat the glow plugs by turning the key left for 20 seconds. Then start. Is this correct or have I been preheating them too long and I have damaged or burnt out the glow plugs?

Next issue and please don't laugh too hard is where are my glow plugs? I see the air filter see a couple of other things but I don't see ignition wires. Is there a complete engine cover, like those plastic things in a car, to expose the main block and wires?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Welcome to MTF
I'm not familiar with a Kioti tractor but the glow plugs should be on top of engine in the cylinder head. The GP's should have insulated wires attached to them. There should be no plastic cover over engine except the hood. What was ambient temp when you were attempting to start the engine? Do you have Winter fuel in tractors fuel tank?

·
Super Moderator
9,379 Posts
Welcome to MTF

Glow plugs can reach a point at which they are not working and need replacement ......I think the need for using the glow plugs kicks in before it gets that cold ...but typically you engage the glow plugs and when the engine is "ready" the light goes out, signalling the operator to engage the starter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was about 14f.
I found them. I'll have to remove the air intake to get to them.
Thanks!
How do i test them once removed? I read about a multi meter but don't have one. One guy wrote he activated them while still connected to the tractor wiring to see if they turn red? Is that doable?
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As for winter fuel? I'm in Canada and filled up with diesel at the gas station. It would be winter rated diesel. It's not purple diesel. I don't add anything else to the fuel.

·
Super Moderator
9,379 Posts
I would add some Power Service diesel additive...cetane booster and winterizer ...get yourself an inexpensive multi meter from ebay or amazon...less that 20 dollars ...and has a lot of uses

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Ditto on volt/ohm meter aren't very expensive. I know nothing about the temp gel point of fuel in Canada but it wouldn't do any harm to add some diesel anti-gel fuel conditioner to your tractor's fuel tank.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,892 Posts
The click you’re hearing is the glow plug relay . Ensure it’s actually putting out voltage to the glow plugs. Follow the click to locate it. Ensure all glow plugs have voltage going to them as a first test before even removing them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a multimeter.
It's the glow plug relay. It sometimes gives a loud click in the engine starts and others it doesn't.
Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction! This is a really cool forum hey it's my first!
I'll keep the threat open if anyone has any extra advice. Lordco is setting me up with the right additives on Monday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts