My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The plastic fan on the hydro is damaged and needs to be replaced with what ever will fit. Manuals show a metal one.

Set screws and spring pins have been removed, shaft spins in both U-joints but may not slide in and out easy. Rear U-joint has just the key, should slide but levering does not make it go.

any suggestions? (it could be a 147-990)

Thanks

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Welcome Tug2000.

The manual sure does show you merely driving out the front roll pin and easily sliding the pulley back to replace the belts. In reality, I think most have had to slide the engine forward.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
What I did on mine is that I removed the fenders, seat, and transmission tunnel to help get to the drive shaft. Next I drove the roll pin from the front u-joint. Next I drenced the u-joint and shaft with wd-40 and pb-blaster. After letting it set and soak, I took a pry bar and slid the front u-joint back. Once you do this the shaft is easy to remove. Just remember don't lose the key.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Those hydro fan are available brand new. I bought mine at my local TSC store. I had to order it and had it within a week.

Actually have done it both ways. First I'd try driving out the roll pin first. If you can get that out your halfway home. If you having real problem with the roll pin, Just slide the engine ahead.

·
That there's worth fixin'
1,892 Posts
Just did one myself too. Like Z, I had to remove the tunnel cover to get at the rear. The rear universal yoke was frozen fast to the pump shaft. Even after soaking it with pen. oil for days I had to really pound the manure out of it to finally get it off. The yoke was apparently assembled with no lube and was rusted to the pump shaft. I made sure that everything was cleaned, lubed and sliding easily before reassembling it. I hope yours comes off easier than mine did. The plastic replacement fan kit part no. for mine was 753-0116. Here's a couple pics, Rick

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks much, I ended up taking the tunnel cover off too. Used two chisels to move the U-joint 2/3rds of the way off. Need to find a few bigger chisels or a fork, it's really on there. No wonder it didn't budge.

Gave me a chance to clean up the fins better, should help with cooling when pulling a load.

TSC is not in town, but not too far away. Is this fan something farm/fleet stores can order for you?

A search for M&D doesn't do much good on Google, could I have a link to their website if they have one?

Thanks again.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Thanks much, I ended up taking the tunnel cover off too. Used two chisels to move the U-joint 2/3rds of the way off. Need to find a few bigger chisels or a fork, it's really on there. No wonder it didn't budge.

Gave me a chance to clean up the fins better, should help with cooling when pulling a load.

TSC is not in town, but not too far away. Is this fan something farm/fleet stores can order for you?

A search for M&D doesn't do much good on Google, could I have a link to their website if they have one?

Thanks again.
M&D http://www.m-and-d.com/

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the link. The part number for a 148-990 (731-0317), comes fitting:

"731-0317 - MTD/TROY-BILT/CUB CADET/YARD MAN/YARD MACHINES/WHITE/BOLENS/GARDEN WAY Parts

Item# MTD-731-0317
7310317/731-0317 MTD-CUBCADET-TROYBILT PART 7310317/731-0317
Replaced by: 9310317/931-0317 FAN "

My Model number is obscured by wear. Since they were very similar for years, yet mine has a plastic fan (148-990 model has metal in diagram), is there some identifier that I can go by to know this thing will fit? Would like to get this thing working without a week delay.

My machine had been damaged by someone going off a ledge or somethings, perhaps they had done it before also, and already replaced the fan once.

This unit has MTD 16HP Hydrostatic stickers on it. Black frame, aluminum hood and grill, red headlight trim.

thanks again.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Here's a upgrade I did on mine. (I think so anyway)
I drilled and tapped a hole for a Hex set screw to secure the driveshaft yoke to the Hydro shaft. Then drilled the fan to access it.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts