My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 1996 gt2055 to replace the deck on my 990. Everything is ready but the driveshaft. New bearings, pulleys, blades, paint for the deck so it looks like new. I even replaced the bent 3/4" rod for the back rollers with 3/4" allthread and welded a extra height adjustment bracket off the old deck in the middle so it won't bend again. Now I need to shorten the female/slide end of the driveshaft to fit the 990. It came from the GT2055 and the pto is in a different location from the 990's. Wizard measured his for me but the 13.5" length didn't jive with mine. The slide end from the GT is about 11" from end to end and that is about 2 or 3" too long. I'd like to cut it to match factory since it's going to be a pain to do and I don't want to use trial and error....error could be catastrophic if it's too long! Any measurements would be appreciated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'll find out...they're pretty worn out aand need replaced. two of them are really bad. it was apparently bent for so long that the outside two are cones now. i flipped them around.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Sorry Joe I thought you wanted to know the length for it to fit on a 998. The entire length for a 990 with U joint and all is about 8 inches , 6-1/8" with only half of the U-joint, hope this helps. I though you already ahd a 990 to measure on thats why I though you were asking about a 998.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
i'll find out...they're pretty worn out aand need replaced. two of them are really bad. it was apparently bent for so long that the outside two are cones now. i flipped them around.
I got some rolling around in the back of my truck if you want them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Wizard...that's right on the money. I set it up and was thinking about 3" cut...that verifys it. I was afraid if I left it too long I'd end up with a broken drive box.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a 3/4" allthread and a 3/4" stainless rod....I figured the stainless was a pretty expensive rod just for a roller. With the third height bracket in the middle I don't think It'll bend again...poor design on their part but they kept making them for decades that way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts