My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have a mountfield t35m 13.5 horsepower mower which has 5 forward gears. I have a paddock with a slight slope which I cut twice a week. The mower was clogged with grass so last week I gave it a hose to clear this (being careful not to get the engine/electrics wet. Since then (probably not coincidentally?) I have had a problem. In the past I would select 4th gear and manage the whole paddock no problem, but know it slows to a halt on the hill in 4th, and I need to drop down to 2nd to get going (so the cutting is now very stop start!) What coud be the problem?

Thanks in advance

·
Deceased Member
2,028 Posts
Sorry I can't help directly with your problem, as that tractor is something I'm not familiar with.

However, I can point you to a UK forum where someone may be able to help.

I found it while looking for information for an "export only' Bolens tractor.

http://www.tractorbox.co.uk/forum/default.asp

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
In looking into some information on this machine, as the name is new to me, found these two reviews http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garde...Ride-On-Lawn-Tractor-10817662?noCookies=false . I see that the second review states they cut a slope as well, but have to use first gear to do it. It sounds as if the slope you cut is perhaps not as severe as theirs if you were cutting it in fourth, but I'm wondering if you would just select first gear would that not permit you to mow the slope with out any more problem of having to stop and shift.

This does'nt answer your question of what happened and why it won't cut this slope in 4th anymore, but it at least may give you less aggravation until you can determine what happened.

Just guessing as I can't find any information on the transmission, but when you washed under the deck, is it possible you could have got some water into the transmission case ?. Even the smallest bit of contaminant from anything getting into the lubrication of the transaxle can cause problems.

Best wishes in getting the issue resolved.

·
Premium Member
8,093 Posts
I see from the link that Jim_WV provided that it's got a manual transmission, but it doesn't say how the input to the transmission is driven from the engine. My guess is that the transmission input is belt driven from the engine, and your cleaning attempt may have gotten some grass or other debris on the pulleys, and now it's slipping a little. I would get under it and make sure that everything in the drive pulleys and belt area is clean and dry, and maybe get some spray on belt dressing to see if you can get it to stop slipping.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In looking into some information on this machine, as the name is new to me, found these two reviews http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garde...Ride-On-Lawn-Tractor-10817662?noCookies=false . I see that the second review states they cut a slope as well, but have to use first gear to do it. It sounds as if the slope you cut is perhaps not as severe as theirs if you were cutting it in fourth, but I'm wondering if you would just select first gear would that not permit you to mow the slope with out any more problem of having to stop and shift.

This does'nt answer your question of what happened and why it won't cut this slope in 4th anymore, but it at least may give you less aggravation until you can determine what happened.

Just guessing as I can't find any information on the transmission, but when you washed under the deck, is it possible you could have got some water into the transmission case ?. Even the smallest bit of contaminant from anything getting into the lubrication of the transaxle can cause problems.

Best wishes in getting the issue resolved.
Thank for the replies. I will check out the uk forum as suggested above.

Yeah I could cut the slope in 1st/2nd gear (and will have to for now) however the slope actually accounts for a large area of the paddock so it takes a lot longer to cut.

Appreciate you guys taking the time to help

Pedro

·
Briggs powered Sears.
2,856 Posts
i wonder if its setup like a mtd is with a varible speed pulley hmmmm

·
Registered
278 Posts
...however the slope actually accounts for a large area of the paddock so it takes a lot longer to cut.
In your other thread you described mowing an acre of thick wet grass in one hour.
You need to go a lot slower on that 36" deck machine.
Do that and most of your other issues will disappear.

As to time, and if the area is relatively open like a paddock
then start saving up for a Zero Turn machine.
Something like one of these:
http://www.greatdanemowers.co.uk/rideon.htm

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers for the replies guys. Turns out one of the pulleys was broken and the mower is fixed now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts