My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Bikes/Tractors what else
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any positive or negative comments on the new decks.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I personally do not like them. My boss has one for his two wheel drive X734 and it will not drive forward over it or back up over it with the front wheels. I see some people back over it and drive off it with 2WD but his has autoconnect and I do not think there is enough room to do that. This year I pulled forward to help getting a ramp made and the autoconnect when fully raised was still hitting the mower deck gearbox. His tractor also gets setup with a snowblower for the winter and I fully remove the autoconnect setup. I believe you are able to leave this under the tractor with the front PTO kit but there is no way I would ever do that.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Love mine. Just makes have yourself lined up straight and it’s easy as pie.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I like mine. I have the autoconnect also. I have 3 scraps of rubber drawer liner I put under mine when installing so it doesn't slide.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Rubber sounds like t was a good idea for you. Me, I found the right spot with the right amount of friction to stop it from sliding as well. Once you have that simple problem worked out it’s a cake walk.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Rubber sounds like t was a good idea for you. Me, I found the right spot with the right amount of friction to stop it from sliding as well. Once you have that simple problem worked out it’s a cake walk.
Yeah some guys have a rubber mat they throw down. I just put the 3 small pieces under 2 spots in rear and front center. That's really the only spots mine makes contact with the floor.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I can't think of anything I don't like about drive on and off and auto-connect deck. Getting older and no more pushing and shoving that heavy as deck around to get it on and off. But now, to be honest, my tractor is 4 wheel drive so I can simply drive right over it no problem. Its now easier to take it off to clean and sharpen the blade, I take it off about 4 times a cutting season and to put the plow on.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I love mine, wouldn’t get another without it. The 4 wheel drive does help. I don’t do anything special, sometimes it will want to slide but typically it won’t enough to stop it from climbing . Or just meet it with a little momentum and it will climb it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
With 2wd it is a struggle. Every single time.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Back over it like in this video? I've never tried it this way (mines a X739). Would this work on a 2WD/AWS? I looked at mine. The steering linkage between rear wheels is only 1/2" or less lower than the differential in the middle where it would have to clear the deck gearbox.

Edit: This video shows a AWS backing over it.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I have watched the videos and am dealing with the same tractor. But when you pull forward with the deck under the tractor not attached with the autoconnect all the way up it hits the gearbox so I would personally never back over it. The ramps work fine to drive forward just a slight inconvenience. I am young yet but I can easily remove my regular mower deck and install it faster.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 739 with the 54 inch deck, and I really like the drive over feature. I wish I had the auto-connect, but other than getting my hands dirty, hooking up the drive shaft, it’s not that big a deal.
I use a piece of horse stall mat, 1/4 in thick, to keep the deck from sliding. With the 739 you have to back off the deck, and drive forward on to it because of the rear steering linkage.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have a 739 with the 54 inch deck, and I really like the drive over feature. I wish I had the auto-connect, but other than getting my hands dirty, hooking up the drive shaft, it’s not that big a deal.
I use a piece of horse stall mat, 1/4 in thick, to keep the deck from sliding. With the 739 you have to back off the deck, and drive forward on to it because of the rear steering linkage.
I got the autoconnect on mine. I had to adjust it a little when I bought it 4 years ago to make it line up perfect. Works great. You can always add to yours if want if you get old and lazy like me. I don't miss laying on floor to hook up the drive shaft like I did on my 455.

·
motorcycle cowboy
763 Posts
I have an x750 which is 2WD. I have no problems driving off or backing over the deck. No problems with clearance on the gearbox either. The biggest issue is getting the deck lined back up so the drive shaft connects. The more I do it, the easier it is.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have X750 with drive over deck. Just bought the Auto Connect to add, haven't added it yet. Looking forward to using it!!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Love the way the deck cuts, and the way you can remove the drive over ramps completely and without tools to clean the pulleys is a wonderful improvement (2019 deck), but did not like the shenanigans I had to go thru to get it mounted.
I had trouble with the deck sliding on the smooth garage floor, and got tired of having to wedge a 2x4 in front, then in back of the deck to hold it in place. Also, being perfectly square to the deck to reinstall made me nervous as the gauge wheel pins were so close to the rear tires.
I decided to try removal-install with my ceiling mounted chain hoist and have done it this way now for the past 3 years.
The transmission is in the freewheeling mode during the entire process.
I leave the gauge wheels untouched and roll the deck out from under the tractor.
20191106_155243.jpg

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
A simple solution to the deck sliding would be to mount a 2x4 on the floor in front of the deck so that it would not move. Then the deck could be raised and driven over the 2x4 or backed out of. I have this set up in my garage for both of our autos.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts