My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The owners manual
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a GT275 and just replaced the drive belt, what a job. Now I am wanting to adjust the tension properly, and hopefully the first time. It shouldn't make any difference what tractor one has, I would assume the tension would be adjusted about the same on all models.
So how do I do it.

Dick

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
there is no manual tension adjustment.

the tensioner if working properly will put the proper tension on the belt.

it is also quite easy to replace a drive belt on those so the fact it was so hard to do might indicate something is not routed properly???

is the belt lose?? or too tight??

·
The owners manual
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Every thing is aligned properly and one of the pulleys has a sloted opened to moving the pulley as per the poor instructions.
So now what.

Dick

·
The owners manual
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stladrill;
Pulley #14 is a moving pulley along with #22 by the slot from above, put #14 is the one that has to be adjusted. The one #14 is a fixed pulley. The manual states slide idler pulley left to increase tension and slide right to decrease tension. So what do you use for reference to the right and left.

Dick

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,968 Posts
Stladrill;
Pulley #14 is a moving pulley along with #22 by the slot from above, put #14 is the one that has to be adjusted. The one #14 is a fixed pulley. The manual states slide idler pulley left to increase tension and slide right to decrease tension. So what do you use for reference to the right and left.

Dick
Your pulley are fix mount on a pivot plate that is tension by the spring #8.

That plate should move when tension is not apply.

To adjust the pulley on the slot plate use the travel of the plate for reference, meaning the plate as to be in the center of the travel space.

Attachments

·
The owners manual
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there anyone else that can lend a hand or another suggestion at adjusting the tension on the drive belt.

Dick

·
Registered
10 Posts
The spring does most of the work keeping the tension on, if you feel it is to loose you could always try getting a new spring. Looks like there is room to adjust the pulleys to take a little extra slop out too, that is if there isn't enough travel for the spring to cover for any stretch in the belt.

·
The owners manual
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stladrill & Jeff M;
I have one question and that is 'do I make the adjsutment with the brake on or off', it appears to make a difference or at least it seems to. Those kind of thing are left out of the manual.
I do know that everything was installed CORRECTLY, for I did take pictures before hand and I did use them. With the one pulley having a sloted opening for the bolt to ride in I wasn't sure which way or how much to push the pulley to tighten it up.
Staldrill- It's not that I didn't understand your explanation, I have never worked on this part prior to now, now I know and that is why I have y'all.

I want to thank everyone that gave me there $1.00's worth, really it was worth more than that.

Thanks Bunches Dick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts