My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1991 MTD LT 12.5 38. Model 131-662F118

Good morning,
I was in a big hurry and slammed it from 1st to 7th too fast and pitched the differential drive belt off. The belt is all gnarled around under there so I would like to see what it should look like when it's done; so I can reach that goal:tango_face_sad:

I can't find a specific rear drive belt diagram for this tractor anywhere online. Maybe because it's too old now? Deck belt diagrams are all over the place though.

Can anyone help me?

Many thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
Looking on Parts Tree.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VTXRider,
Thank you so very much for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

T'care,
Mike

·
Registered
896 Posts
You can try to download a owners manual that will have a parts list and instructions for replacing belts at this link.

If your model and serial number don't get a download you can call MTD at the toll free phone number.

Best to use a model and serial number when looking for a manual. choose opwners center at the top then owners manual on the left side.

https://www.mtdproducts.com/equipment/en/OperatorManualView?storeId=10500&catalogId=20500&langId=-1

I've had good luck by emailing them and asking them to mail me a copy.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
That's a very common system. If you need new rear belt make sure it has the mtd part number on it, even if you get a cheaper aftermarket version. You normally have to remove the shift lever bracket from the left side of chassis to route belt. Left side goes straight from varidrive pulley to transaxle pulley. Right side goes inside the tensioner pulley. You have to pull pulley hard right against spring tension to get belt inside it. Left and right as viewed sitting in seat . (facing forward)

·
Registered
896 Posts
As 38racing says, that is a common system. With the variator drive system both belts should be replaced at same time or it usually won't act correctly in drive and when new CORRECT size belts are first installed let them run in to get correct drive speeds.

Usually what causes a belt to jump off is a worn out belt or bad idler puller and simply re-installing a jumped off old belt will result in a comeback unless you see a foreign object that caused the jump off. The first time changing both drive belts is a learning experience even with good instruction manual.:tango_face_sad:

Here is a link where you can find all kinds of FREE downloads for MTD and other products. Some of the downloads are kinda slow and may take few minutes, but worth the effort.

https://mymowerparts.com/pdf/MTD-Service-Repair-Manuals/

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Changing those belts can be a pain but I like that system over gear drive. You just select the max speed and if you need to slow then just press the pedal. Then release to resume normal speed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you ALL for your very valuable and helpful information.
This forum is the VERY BEST!!!

T'care,
Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts