Hello all!

I recently had a problem with my MTD where it would not go up hill. I
replaced the rear belt and the problem was not resolved. Also the mower
began to "jerk" back and foth when riding. I did some "Googling" and
found that it may be the front belt, I replaced that too. I also made all
required speed/clutch adjustments as indicated in the manual.Problem
still remains with the jerking. It also seems like the belts may not be as
tight as they should be. I have also heard/read that the problem may
be a clutch or spring problem. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

JB

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Welcome JB.

A couple of things to check. First that the sheeve pulley slides freely top to bottom. Next would be the springs.

Also, I believe these belts are to be a matched pair, as on my 84A. You did get both from the same source?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
D-Dogg,

Thanks for the quick response. Yes I did get both belts from the same place and they are MTD belts. I am not sure what or where a "sheeve pulley" is. I am a Newbie at working on Lawn Tractors. Also when you say to look at the springs, what am I looking for?

Thanks again for your help!

JB

·
Registered
21 Posts
Another thing you can try is some belt dressing the stuff in the spray can works best spray both belts down with it with the clutch out and trans in netural engine running.
If it helps its either wrong belt size or not enough tension, also check the sheeve pulley like dogg said, the center half pulley of the clutch should slide up and down freely with the belts off. GOOD LUCK!:thThumbsU

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, Ill take a look tonight. If for some reason the sheeve pully does not slide freely, what is the course of action on that? I seem to remember it not moving that much when I swapped out the belts.

JB

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
LB, it won't move more than the width of the belt (inside width). But if is does not move smoothly, you can try to use some thin strips of emory cloth to clean the inside surface up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm just wondering now if you used mtd belts? I thing your tractor is very similar to mine.
The mtd belts are alot wider in width than your standard hardware store belts.
They are designed to squeeze that sheeve pulley tight when the clutch is out.
The only problem is they are expensive $52.00 front and $33.00 back.
What i did was get the back mtd belt the $33.00 one, and then went to the hardware store and got a 54 inch front for $9.99. It has worked just fine for me. Not sure if it will work for you or not??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Both of the belts are MTD belts and I purchased them from the same place. The sheeve pully may be the culprit. I looked at the springs, and I really don't know what I am looking for, they are there, and they look OK. I had a real hard time getting both belts on the mower. Is there any way to check the sheeve pully without removing the belts? Also I am still not real clear what the sheeve pully should be doing. Thanks for all the help.

JB

·
Registered
21 Posts
Jb, im gonna give it a long shot but i think your right,I think there is a problem with the sheeve pully too but i don't know for sure,I really don't know what else it could be.You said all the spring are there,and they are both correct mtd belts right?. So if it was me i would pull it and check it.The best way i can describe how a sheeve pully works....anyone can correct me if im wrong,but its kinda like a second clutch, so you know the front belt acts as a clutch to release tension off the crank shaft of the engine,on the inside portion of the belt,So.....the sheeve pully does the same thing only it uses the "outside's" of the belts. See if im right the transmission has to have a certain amount of rpm's before it will move the wheel's , the sheeve pully is what builds rpms while you are letting the clutch out and then pinches the outside width of both belts,This make a smoother operating clutch assmly.Again anyone can correct me if im wrong but thats how i see it. This is the best advice i can give you without pictures.
Let us know if you get it working right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for your assistance and patience with me! I finally checked the sheeve pulley. I tried to remove it and take a look but couldn't figure out how to remove it. The user manual does not have great details. I removed the belts and moved the sheeve up and down back and forth. It didn't really move that freely at first. I put the belts back on and took it for a ride. It seems to work fairly in gear 1-4. Once I pass 4th gear the belts move to the outside of the pully and start "grabbing" and jerking the mower back and forth again. I do not know for sure that I have the right belts but I know they are both MTD bought from a lawnmower repair/hardware store. As I said earlier, the springs are there, but I was wondering if maybe one of the springs may be streched out and not bringing the pulley back far enough (part number 34).

I respect all you folks that work on these mowers on a regular basis, I work on computers and some folks think that can be frustrating.. this thing is whooping my butt. Those belts are not fun to remove and replace.

JB

·
Rustyj
260 Posts
Yeah, i had an old Montgomery Ward lawn tractor with those two belts, and the sheave pulley. I worked on that thing for several weeks last winter, and installed both vbelts, after i got the center sheave working ok. Then, one nice warm day, i started it up, and backed it outside. Don't know what happened, but one of the belts caught fire, and smoked it pretty well. So, it sat the rest of the winter, then i removed the engine, cut out the front belt, pushed it up by the street, and put a "free" sign on it. Set there for 4 days, but disappeared by dawn of the fifth day! Who took it? Don't know--don't care! Out of sight-out of my way!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Try walmart for these belts. Just got all three for a 133M679G062 - Lowes 14/42 - for less than $80. MTD brand.
Cashier said they were seasonal and would not be reordered till spring. Had several of each number I needed.

Chuck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I put the tractor up on jack stands last night. It doesn't look like the back wheels are spinning as they should. Anyone think it could be a problem with the gears in the back axle? I'm taking it in to the shop tonight. Anyone ever see any gearing problem with the MTD tractors?

Thanks!

JB

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions and help with my MTD problem. I took it to the shop and it needs a new Trans Axle. $600 for parts and labor. I got 9 years out of this mower so I'm happy with that. Time to upgrade! Thanks again everyone.

JB

1 - 16 of 16 Posts