My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke the drive belt on my 80's Craftsman tractor and can't seem to find a P/N for a drive belt for this model? 917-254410 The tractor has an 18 H.P. HORIZONAL shaft Briggs and Stratton engine. I cant find a P/N# on the belt, but it's VERY long. A little over 90" I bought this tractor, and another a couple of weeks ago and I'm not even sure it is the correct belt. (after looking at the wiring nothing would surprise me!!) Any I could sure use some suggestions. Thanks, Litz

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I figured I would go to NAPA today and see if they can be of any help. Without the correct p/n I would rather go to napa than take a chance on Sears sending the wrong belt. At napa it's easier to take the part back for a refund/exchange. Are the horizonal shaft 18 hp Briggs engines common in these older tractors? I just started this hobby a couple of years ago and this is the first Craftsman tractor that I have had with a horizonal shaft Briggs engine. All the others were vertical shaft engines.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Put you model number in at the Sears parts site/ Get the stock belt number there. With that number napa or google will help you.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,538 Posts
My Dayco belt catalog lists a 101342 Sears # as the stock tranny belt,it's a L493 Dayco,which is a 1/2"X 93" belt...the deck takes two belts ,a 106863X Sears or a L492 Dayco 1/2" X 92" to the deck,and the other one that goes to the blades is the same number also...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info Guys. I'll take the #'s to napa today. Is this a "common" tractor? I'm fairly new to the hobby, and havent seen a horiz. shaft 18 hp Briggs twin in any of my Craftsman tractors. thx again, Litz

·
Registered
110 Posts
very common tractor, i have a 87 and 89 Craftsman II with the 18 HP twin opposed motors. they are both good machines that will take a lot of use.
my 87 manual for 917.254410 shows part number 101342N with the size being 1/2x93 inches for main drive belt.

·
Registered
617 Posts
If you are buying the belt at an auto parts store, make sure they sell you one rated for agricultural and outdoor equipment service in clutching applications. That type of belt is rated for what you need and will be Kevlar reinforced.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Picked up a belt yesterday at O'riley auto parts. Works perfect, and it looks to be a little heavier belt than the one I replaced. Thx for the help. Litz

1 - 8 of 8 Posts