My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the 9th of this month I bought the mower blade sharpening attachment for my Dremel rotary tool. I thought it would be handy for sharpening blades without removing them from the mower. The package said it was compatible with the Dremel 395, which is the model I've owned since 1991. When I installed the attachment on my Dremel, the sharpening stone would hit the end of the plastic frame. I figured OK, it says it fits a 395, so I might as well try it. Of course the stone ground into the plastic and melted a little recess, but other than that it seemed to work. I grabbed an old blade and started sharpening. After about 3 strokes, the plastic splined coupler inside the Dremel gave way and the motor was freewheeling without driving the shaft. Great, I broke my trusty Dremel!

So I called Dremel and talked to the nice lady in Racine, WI. I told her my sad story and she couldn't understand why the attachment didn't fit correctly. She confirmed that the plastic coupler probably gave way and that it was a known problem with the 395, and it was a $2 part. I complained that it was their attachment on their tool that caused it to break, and that I had read and followed the instructions to the letter. At that point she said to ship it to their service center and they would take a look at it. So I boxed up the Dremel, along with the sharpening attachment and the packaging, and sent it off to Racine.

After a few days I get a call from the Dremel service center. It sounds like the same lady and she says that my tool was a model 395 type 3, but the attachment isn't compatible with the type 3! She said they went all the way up to type 6, and that mine was in pristine shape for such an old model! I responded that I take good care of all my tools. She said if it was OK with me, she would send me a brand new model 300 which has a metal shaft and no plastic coupler along with a new sharpening attachment. Of course I jumped at that offer!

So yesterday it arrived--a brand new model 300! It's more ergonomic with a nice cushy grip and better speed control, along with the new sharpening attachment. Tried it out today and it works great. Seems quieter and more powerful than my old 395.

Needless to say, I'm very pleased with Dremel customer service. I never expected them to replace a 19-year old tool with a new one. And when you call, they are very friendly and helpful plus they're right here in the US, not some foreign country. If you have a problem with a Dremel product, even if it's way out of warranty, give 'em a call--it can't hurt!

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Great to hear and :thanku: for sharing with us :fing32:. I love my dremel tool also, got the model 395 variable speed, and a bunch of attachments, tried the mower blade sharpener and ran into the same thing you did, but just ended up not using it at all, I finally gave it to a buddy of mine who was going to order one for his. The dremel comes in so handy for a variety of jobs, I don't know what I'd do with out it. Good to know these folks stand behind this product as well, that was a really nice thing for them to do for you :).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts