My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
SNIP

The hydro growl, or more correctly whine, is courtesy of the pulse frequencies of a positive displacement pump as each chamber of the pump unloads into the system. As the pressure rises, the whine gets louder. Anyone who has worked in a hydraulic pump room knows this in their bones. Hearing protection is a very desirable piece of equipment.

SNIP
Excellent discussion. My line of work was mechanical for the last 20 years. And when on my M413X or even more so the LS, my ear protection is in. Unpleasant frequencies indeed. Tires your head.

A little anecdote about heat generation. On the M413X I literally sit on the hydraulic pump. When I bought the unit, the AC was inop. That was a high priority repair, had to find specialty 134a fittings pronto. The heater is bypassed. I wondered why anybody would do that ... until a few weeks back, working in the 40s and realizing that the hydraulic pump under my seat provides all the warmth one needs after about 20 minutes of grading. The wheel drive motors are also hydraulic so all motive power requires that big pump, it's right on the 4BT crank.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Central Texas. Tractor Supply has most big towns. Behind the friendly clerks it's just another huge evil corporation. But their lubricant prices are good. We patronize the small family ops for feed, hay, etc. As for cattle protein, TSC is half the price. How they manage that, I don't know.
They pay half as much for it. Unless something is being sold as a loss leader (an item super cheap to draw people into the store) they are making money on it. Maybe not a lot, but you can bet the farm that they are not losing money. Case in point. Light fixtures in lighting stores often go on sale for 50% or more off. My wholesaler salesman and friend for 30 years once told me he was astounded at the prices their company's lighting showroom got for the fixtures. I asked how much can the markup be, double their cost? (i.e. 100% - if it costs them 3 bucks, they sell if for $6). He said, no, its 2 1/2 times (if they buy it for 3, they sell it for $7.50. Now this might apply to only one industry, but based on eyeglass frames, that's a very small markup. (Be serious, eyeglass frames that sell for $250 and are made of a wisp of plastic and a tiny bit of metal cost less than 1/20th of that to make.)

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
I was thinking about this thread the other day. Took this pic in Atwood's

20210109_122951_compress29.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Good to see they put two handles on that jug. Clearly that gallon is super heavy (duty) and it takes two hands to handle a whopper.
One for carryin', the other for pourin'. I had one without the side handle the other day and I have to admit I missed it. They sure do make pouring easier. We are so spoiled nowadays. Can you imagine going back to punch top cans? :D

21 - 25 of 25 Posts