My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how many people use these but if you have a pond or other area it isn't a good idea to get near with the tractor and bush hog the Dr. Trimmer on wheels is a tough customer on weeds and small trees.
The 130-155 Mil cords are easy to install and can really dish out the weed wacking powered by the 60 Intek OHV engine.
DUCK :fing02:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just wanted to post my opinion on the Dr. Mower/Trimmer.
The Dr Trimmer/Mower is not as great as is advertised.
From the moment I purchased mine I had trouble. The clutch cable keeps breaking. At first they told me they had just gotten a bad batch of cables. Now they are telling me that maybe I need to sand the metal bracket the clutch cable attaches to. This is AFTER 4 times of being broken. Also while it was under warranty, the cable was free, but now I have to pay for an OVERPRICED one of $25.99!!! That is ridiculous. I don't use this thing for brush, but just around my yard. Nothing heavy duty. It shouldn't be breaking all the time.
The saleperson pointed out that I was the only one not happy with their products and I was the only one having problems, but the previous salesperson had already told me that other people had the same problem, so who is telling the truth.
The mower/trimmer is GARBAGE and OVERPRICED at that. Don't buy.
Also they say it is mandatory that you buy their parts and when you are broken down, two weeks is a very long time to wait. I'm very unhappy with this product!

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I have a "Gardenway" by Troy-built, runs off a 3.5 horse briggs, I beat the crap out of it and it takes it well.

·
Premium Member
5,554 Posts
freebird said:
I have a "Gardenway" by Troy-built, runs off a 3.5 horse briggs, I beat the crap out of it and it takes it well.
My Gardenway Troy-Bilt has nothing but problems but maybe I am using it wrong or something, I have had the right wheel break, the belt broke, the cheap plastic shield that is front of the engine is in pieces (I ended up fabing a new one out sheet alumium) The string holder shattered and it cost $55.00 to replace plus the fact I was dancing to avoid the peices when it broke. Those Troy-bilts are fine for light weed wacking but forget it on anything heavier like my ditch which gets overgrown fast. I personally have a problem holding a standard weedwacker (my elbows have artistis from 30 years of drilling rivet holes and filling them with a rivet gun) so I thought the high wheeled wacker was the way to go. Was I ever mistaken. The one thing I am going to do is clear the ditch of all the rocks in it as it is shallow and simple use the bush hog on it.

·
Guru on the Mountain
2,072 Posts
I have had great service from a 1997 6hp DR trimmer/mower with the B&S Daimond Engine. It is very well designed. The newer models look like they had some cost reductions, maybe they lost the touch competing with the low end. Would be a real shame for CHP. Company should accept return of problem product with receipts they do answer the phone themselves.

·
bolens nut
339 Posts
I have an older DR with a 5 horse briggs. It has been a great machine. I recently moved into a 100 plus year old house with several years of growth to clear.
I have worked that poor thing to death and it takes whatever I dish out.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
We have an older one, 6hp. b&s engine. mower itself works great,---just gotta keep the clutch cable adjusted correctly. I use mine a LOT and am on my second belt (got replacement belt from an eletric motor repair shop and don't order from DR!) Do a lot of oiling /cleaning under there, as grass/weed juice is corosive. Throttle cable stuck years ago, so I took it off and threw it away. (don't really need one)
Engine has been kind of disappointing to me for being a B&S it has a lot of piddly problems and has since new,( just got bad engine)! Other than that it has really paid for itself in use so I would probably buy another one if I ever wear this one out! thanks; sonny

·
Registered
185 Posts
We have an older one, 6hp. b&s engine. mower itself works great,---just gotta keep the clutch cable adjusted correctly. I use mine a LOT and am on my second belt (got replacement belt from an eletric motor repair shop and don't order from DR!) Do a lot of oiling /cleaning under there, as grass/weed juice is corosive. Throttle cable stuck years ago, so I took it off and threw it away. (don't really need one)
Engine has been kind of disappointing to me for being a B&S it has a lot of piddly problems and has since new,( just got bad engine)! Other than that it has really paid for itself in use so I would probably buy another one if I ever wear this one out! thanks; sonny
Hi I can't figure out how to replace the string in a DR trimmer I have thanks.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I recently worked on a Troybuilt for a friend- it sat too long with ethanol gas in the carb. I got it running, and was kind of excited to try one out. I had never used one, and thought that if it was as good as it seemed, maybe it would be worth the money to get one. After using it, I don't think I will. I can cut much faster with my Stihl weedeater, and the cut looks better. Maybe the strings were worn and short, or I didn't have the technique, but I wasn't impressed. It's loud, shakey, and awkward- maybe my land/ditches are condusive to one. In the end, I prefer my weedeater.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I recently worked on a Troybuilt for a friend- it sat too long with ethanol gas in the carb. I got it running, and was kind of excited to try one out. I had never used one, and thought that if it was as good as it seemed, maybe it would be worth the money to get one. After using it, I don't think I will. I can cut much faster with my Stihl weedeater, and the cut looks better. Maybe the strings were worn and short, or I didn't have the technique, but I wasn't impressed. It's loud, shakey, and awkward- maybe my land/ditches aren't condusive to one. In the end, I prefer my weedeater.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I used to have the Swisher version of this machine. It was a down-scaled version of the DR, bought it new for about $300. It was quite awesome, even though it was rather an entry-level machine. No self-propell, solid tires, and the Briggs 6HP engine was about the smallest engine you'd want for this work. It used .105 line, and it would take down very tough agressive brush and grass quite effectively. That Briggs worked hard, and it would burn thru a tank of gas in about 45 minutes. I never had any problems with belt slippage. The only issue was that .105 line didn't like hitting up against hard solid things like concrete foundations and trees, that would make the line snap off fairly fast. But other than that the line could last a good 30 minutes before it needed changing (rough Texas overgrowth, etc). This is a good machine to have if you must deal with overgrown fields. Funny thing, I didn't need it so much after I got the fields at the ranch under control and could keep them mowed properly. I sold it to that ranch where I used to work, for about 50 bucks less than what I paid for it. They might even still be using it, if they haven't blown it up :praying:.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I was using a friend's DR trimmer around my property and the line broke. How do you put new line in. Do I have to unscrew the head assembly? thanks.

·
Collector of Misfit Toys
60 Posts
One of my customers owns one of these and I do the annual servicing of her equipment. It does what it is designed for just fine, a very solid machine. The only problems it has ever had were caused by her hired help - bound up the spindle by running over twine and left it stored tipped with the handle on the floor causing the oil to fill the cylinder and lock the engine.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Purchased my 6hp DR trimmer/mower in 07. This is one tough machine. I have 2.5 acres out of 8 to maintain and this machine does a great job.

Easy to service and maintain. Change the oil every year. Change the carb filters every year. Remove the bottom bad clean and adjust the clutch cable.

It starts every time.

·
Registered
185 Posts
On the walk behind trimmers I can't figure out how to replace the cutting line. Do you have to take the head apart?

·
Registered
131 Posts
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/landsca...tters/husqvarna-brushcutters-for-landscapers/

This ^^^^ (or Stihl, or Echo, or Dolmar etc...)

Advantages:

Easy to store
Easy to maintain-no oil changes (2 stroke)
Variety of blades can cut up to 4"trees
Small storage -easy to transport-no trailer needed
harness is good for all day use-not lugging a big machine around
lower cost-get a 2nd one for another family member (employee)to help
better results-cuts much cleaner
lower noise
Easy to get parts

1 - 19 of 19 Posts