My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this tree in the woods - it'll make great firewood.. I want to cut it but am unsure how best to go at it. its kind of funny, it was about 150 feet in the middle of the woods, trees all around it, no other trees were downed near it. strange that just this one fell.

The thing has a huge rootball, - see Bo next to the base.

Its leaning up on a tree - id love to cut it but i am not sure if its best to wait for it to fall, or try to cut it from the base area.

Attachments

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Tough cut here John. I would cut it at the base and hope it didn't pinch your Bar. Might have to notch the top side and then up cut from the bottom and then pull the tree out of the trees it is leaning into. Good Luck!:trink39:

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
I agree with sonny notch the top then cut from the bottom and pay very close attention to the cut when it starts to widen get the heck out of the way as it could very well come backwards.Most likely it won't but it could.Once you get it cut hook a chain to it and pull it down if it doesn't come down on its own.Also keep in mind once you cut it the stump and rootball are going to fall back into their original location. I hate cutting leaners like that as its hard to tell what will happen when you cut it free.Good luck and be careful!:fing32:

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Yep, good advice, those leaners can be a real pain and real dangerous if you are'nt careful, good luck with it John if you decide to tackle it, personally I would not fool with it :(.

·
26,679 Posts
If I was a Simplicity man I would say prop the root ball up with a Green Machine first.:sidelaugh:sidelaugh

·
Super Moderator
29,563 Posts
if you can get a truck or large tractor back there, i would throw a chain or strap around it as high up as possible, then pull it to one side. may get just enough movement to make it release and fall down. MUCH safer to cut it on teh ground. if you do decide to cut it where it is, follow the above advice and make sure someone else is there with you in case something goes wrong.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
if you can get a truck or large tractor back there, i would throw a chain or strap around it as high up as possible, then pull it to one side. may get just enough movement to make it release and fall down. MUCH safer to cut it on teh ground. if you do decide to cut it where it is, follow the above advice and make sure someone else is there with you in case something goes wrong.
That's what I would do.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I know that they used to call trees like that widowmakers, so if you don't need it I'd just let nature take it's course.

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
Hate to go back on my earlier advice but after looking at the pics I'm betting cutting from the bottom will result in a pinched bar,from the rootball trying to fall back into the ground.If I was close to you SJ I wouldn't hesitate to come cut it down for you.Even though I hate cutting a tree in that spot I do like a good chainsaw challenge.:fing32:

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
That's what I would do.
:ditto:

I have had a few trees rip out like that by the roots and get tangled in the other trees,when a microburst came thru here in 1982....even worse was when a tree I tried cutting right flush with the ground broke off and ended up in a very similar position!.the trunk imbedded itself about 6" in the ground and it got hung up in other trees..:(

I tried cutting a leaned over one at the base once ,and I *** near got killed!..first it pinched the saw chain and it jammed in the kerf,had to jack up the tree to get the chain saw out..then when I tried finishing the cut from underneath,it busted free with a snap and came flying sideways,and I was lucky I got out of its way and the saw didn't end up ripping me apart..

After that experience I now pull the tree over with a LONG rope with my truck ,tractor or a winch and get it 100% on the ground before cutting it!..and NO climbing up the tree to attach the rope,I toss it over with a weight on it from the ground..I climbed up one tree like the one pictured here and when I got 3/4 of the way up it,the *** branches holding it up broke and I had one **** of a fast trip to the ground!..how my legs didn't get busted off under it,I'll never know..

·
Member 800 post club !!
953 Posts
I wonder, did it make a noise??

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
Only to the ears that were present at the time.

·
MTF Member
425 Posts
As Tractor-Holic pointed out ( He types fast) darn tree is connected at its root ball and its brothers branches holding it up. He was Wylee Cyotee scampering up that tree, then it fell ahh....he rode it down, me too once. Can you get a rope around the tree with the branch thats supporting the downed one and tug it and drop the leaner using gravity and your side ways pull, then cut it safe. :praying:
DMAC

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Well its been almost 7 hours John .. did you get it hacked up yet ??

Still have all your limbs ? (get it LIMBS) :sorry1::050:

·
Premium Member
9,955 Posts
Only to the ears that were present at the time.
This depends on your definition of sound. I have two dictionaries, one states that sound is the production of sound waves, the other claims that it is the reception of the sound waves by an ear.

·
10,839 Posts
I found this tree in the woods - it'll make great firewood.
Firewood? :banghead3 How about sending it through a sawmill, then a planer to a nice 1/2" thickness, enabling you to plug up the gaps in the sheetrock in the garage?

Whatever you do, please be safe.

·
Administrator
12,689 Posts
If I remember corectly you have a fancy Quad that would maybe do the trick in pulling sideways and hopefully drop it. Be carefull whatever you try.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I would leave it alone. It might be down by next year. Years ago my uncle was cutting a tree like that. It was a bigger tree but same deal. He didn't have anyone with him, but that was nothing new. The tree kicked out and caught him in the chin. It just grazed him but knocked him out. He woke up bleeding and in a daze when the guy next door happen to see him up in the woods while driving by.

He lived but was pretty beat up for a while. It broke his false teeth plate in half. This guy cut lots of wood in his day. Trees like that are not worth playing with.

Every time we take a chance, next time it gets easier to take the chance.

·
26,679 Posts
SJ, what is the word with Tree? Update please!:trink39:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts