My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or has anyone made one? My property is very hilly and I'd love the extra safety from double wheels.
Is it something I just need to fab up myself?
Sears 19.9
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
My dad had an old Midland with rider sulky. He used it at property on lake Huron that was 100% beach sand and often buried anything trying to run in it. He fabricated 5 wheel lug extensions out 1" round stock on a small bench lathe. Male threads on both ends, with about a quarter inch shoulder at the base of the threads, and long enough so that the outer wheels just contacted the inner wheels when they were mounted and tightened down with appropriate nuts. All 4 wheels were bar tires. A neighbor's jeep would get stuck in the sand of a small bluff by the lakeshore and he'd have to winch it out. That little Midland, looking like some kind of mechanical Praying Mantis, would just go through anything and never sink or bury itself. Wish I still had it. Total width of the dualies was about 48" as the machine itself wasn't very wide to begin with. I don't think it would turn over on any slope of 45 degrees or less. More of a skid portential than an overturn potential.

Anyway, those home made studs worked and never broke or bent. Others have used a 4" or 6" steel pipe with flanges drilled with 4 or 5 holes for the studs, welded onto both ends. I guess that might work too.

Neat project, let us know if you proceed and any results you get.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Located in the "terminal moraine" in Southern Ohio, a.k.a. "The Foothills of the Appalachians." Dual wheels are quite common on farm tractors here, not so much for traction but for security when going around steep side hills. No idea on dual wheel adapters but you might consider dual wheel weights, certainly would be much cheaper and would make the unit less likely to roll over. I remember when I got wheel weights for the GT 5000 they came with short and long mounting bolts. The long bolts were to hold both weights on the uphill or tire not in the furrow when plowing.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Located in the "terminal moraine" in Southern Ohio, a.k.a. "The Foothills of the Appalachians." Dual wheels are quite common on farm tractors here, not so much for traction but for security when going around steep side hills. No idea on dual wheel adapters but you might consider dual wheel weights, certainly would be much cheaper and would make the unit less likely to roll over. I remember when I got wheel weights for the GT 5000 they came with short and long mounting bolts. The long bolts were to hold both weights on the uphill or tire not in the furrow when plowing.
Another potential consideration is steering. With farm tractors and dual wheels, you have to ride the uphill brake as the front wheels don't have a lot of bite. If your tractor has front turf tires and you add duals, or perhaps dual weights, steering control will be compromised. Added weight to front end and/or "tri rib" style front tires to add bite will help steering. Think of it like plowing snow with weights and chains, you turn the front wheels, the unit keeps going where the blade and rear tires want.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Yep skids are not fun. Even with my ZT mower, the uphill tire unloads and starts to skid, resulting in the front, being heavier and on castering wheels, heading down hill. Big thing is to avoid this happening uphill from a tree, a cliff, or fence line..

Reactions: Everlandfarm

·
Registered
732 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Checked a tire dealer and found options for seemingly less.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts