My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here have any experience with freight shipping?

I've got a piece that I need to ship, but because of the strange shape and the overall weight, UPS and Fedex are both wanting about $250 for the job.

Whereas - if you can believe these online freight calculators - I think that I could probably find somebody with a CDL and his own rig to move it for maybe about $100.

I tried one of the "name" companies [with terminals in both the origin city and the destination city], but they didn't seem very interested in my piece [they seem to be more oriented towards large firms which would place regular orders].

And I couldn't find anything on Craigslist which looked like CDL guys advertising their services.

So how about one of the bidding sites, like UShip?

Is that a good way to go?

And, if so, what are some things that I should be sure to do?

And what should I be sure to NOT do?

Thanks!

PS: I remember a while back seeing a "bid" advertisement for someone trying to move a GMT 9000, so I know that there must be folks who have tried their hand at this sort of thing.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
What's the weight and size of the pallet, and what's the distance it's going? I do a pretty decent amount of freight and my minimum charge is usually around $100. I can hook up with a national freight company and get a lower rate, but typically for someone like you, you'd be lucky to move 100 lbs more than 2 or 300 miles for $100. Anything heavier and longer distance, the price goes _way_ up.

·
Super Moderator
13,487 Posts
I had a JD 318 shipped from Texas up to Iowa a couple months ago through Uship. Took a little while but I only paid $326. Total shipping weight was about 950lbs with suitcase weights, wheel weights etc.... Uship has an estimator you can use. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Not sure what you are looking to ship, but if you try the freight route as a normal consumer, they will bend you over.

Best bet for you is to go the Uship route and put it out to bid.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My piece will box up at about 60" x 36" x 16", and with the added weight of the 2x4s and the OSB board, it will probably tip the scales at about 120 lbs [maybe 130 lbs?].

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
My piece will box up at about 60" x 36" x 16", and with the added weight of the 2x4s and the OSB board, it will probably tip the scales at about 120 lbs [maybe 130 lbs?].
I would also recommend the U-Ship avenue. Just make sure your terms are explicitly stated and your container dimensions/weight is accurately stated. If a shipping company is going to bend you over, that's how they'll do it (understated weights/measures). I've arranged shipping trips for machines and equipment up to 1800 miles away - using U-Ship - and rarely encountered snags. As with equipment I purchase, I didn't over-pay for any of my shipments - I always nailed down a decent deal.

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,476 Posts
I've had great luck with Uship for everything from dozer blades, to FEL's, GT's etc. The freight companies have a hard time filling a truck when they ship one-off, small stuff. Your per-pound cost will drop dramatically using another method.

That being said, $250 for UPS to do it sounds extrememly reasonable for them. Their calculator is typically high, so I'd take it to a customer service center and see if that price drops. I just shipped a dozer setup that was just a tad under 75# (those weight increments can nail you), and about 44x8x20", and it cost the buyer $36. That was a 3 day run using UPS Ground...not sure how far you're shipping.

I have a Simplicity dump cart that will run about 130#, packed up, and is much bulkier. When I took it in the quote was $198 for the same distance.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That being said, $250 for UPS to do it sounds extrememly reasonable for them. Their calculator is typically high, so I'd take it to a customer service center and see if that price drops.
Well part of my problem is the cardboard price - I get shipping quotes of $210, and then another $40 for the cardboard!

I called everyone in town, and I couldn't get reasonable quotes on cardboard.

[I suppose maybe I could go to Lowes or Home Depot, and beg the manager for some refrigerator cardboard packing?!?]

But I got spare OSB and spare 2x4s lying around all over the place, so I can slap together a freight crate for nothing but the cost of my free time.

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Greyhound also does heavy item shipping - something not commonly known. If you have a terminal near you, call them (or go online) and see what they're charging.

·
Registered
490 Posts
On a recent craigslist purchase. Problem here is that its hard to negotiate with a seller thats over 800 miles away. We need to make this as smooth of a transaction or the seller doesn't want to bother making a deal with you.
I tried to ship two lawn mowers ( 220 lbs.) using Uship and ended getting bids within a week ranging from $325 down to $222, thats picked up and delivered to my door, transported 800 miles. I then found out about Fastenal 3PL and got a great price quote of $150 for the two mowers. They have to be drained of fluids and secured to a pallet or crated. Dropped of at the Fastenal store by seller and picked up at the location near me.
Before I could seal the deal, the seller decided Not to make this deal with me on the mowers as he felt it would be a huge hassle to drain oil, strap the two mowers on a pallet and drop them off 2 miles from his house.
Fastenal moves alot of freight this way at great prices. If its longer distance, the price really doesn't change, may just take some time to move it from terminal to terminal till it makes its way to your pick up location. The other great thing about using Fastenal is that you pay for shipping when you pick up your item.
Takes a day to set your shipping rate and all you need to do is fax the shipping agreemant back before dropping of your product. They have over 2,000 locations so their should be one close to the seller. Contact the Fastenal store near seller and ask them to hold a pallet for your item. Making it easy for the seller helps you seal your long distance craigslist deal. I'm working on a different craigslist deal thats over 2,000 miles away. Hopefully I don't scare the seller on the shipping deal. Will report back.

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,476 Posts
Ive used fastenal now over 40 times. I typically email the regional freight coordinator and have a quote back in under an hour. The quote sheet can be emailed vs fax, which is nice because all parties involved can then have the same paperwork on hand.

It takes 1-2 weeks to reach the destination store, and many times the stores are unfamiliar with the service at first...you may need to call a couple times to ask if the pallet has arrived. My store here has me in and out in under 5 minutes each time.

I wouldnt recommend anything under 50lbs if you can pack it in a box. UPS will be cheaper and faster. Anything bigger....Ive even shipped full size GTs with attachments...is extremely reasonable. I have nwver broken $200 for freight, to anywhere.

·
Administrator
21,555 Posts
Having been in the freight business for 37+ years now, let me tell you a couple things. "Class" rates are the published rates to take an item:

From zip a to zip b, based on weight, freight classification (a box of pillows is going to be more $$ than a sheet of steel), and accessorials ( residential pickup/delivery, liftgate, notification charges, re-delivery if the person is not home, etc). Get rid of the accessorials. To determine your freight class, check here http://shipfreight.van.fedex.com/ClassificationTool.aspx . I used FedEx because it happened to come up in my google search. Their freight class is going to be the same as any other common carrier's class. Problem is describing it so apples are compared to apples. (there is a big difference to a JD318 ready to turn the key and mow the grass compared to a JD318 KDF [knocked down flat] ). It all boils down to density. Now, that all being said, when you walk in, they are going to give you the "class" rates from here to there. Then, the fun begins. Nobody pays class rates these days. If you walk into my workplace to ship a 300 lb item, you will be given a flat 60-65% discount off class rates right off the bat. That is still going to be fairly expensive, but no "sticker shock" as with the class rates.

Also, PACK IT TO WITHSTAND TRANSPORTATION! Just cuz you hang a sign on there that says, "Handle With Care", guess again! Dock workers and drivers are beaten up daily to stack freight "high and tight", get "one more shipment on that trailer", etc. It's all about the bottom line. And, take a picture when you drop it off, just in case there is an argument when the consignee tries to tell the destination terminal that a 318 really isn't supposed to bend in the middle and fold in half. You'll need it for your claim.

Any questions, drop me a PM or notify me of the question in the post and I'll try to help, but Talentedmrgreen seems to have the best route to go. Sounds like Fastenal is a good option.

·
16,824 Posts
That's pretty inclusive--Brad.

Did the OP ever get his item shipped?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks for the tip on Fastenal. Have two close by. That will give me another option if I see something.

I have used Greyhound a few times. Shipped a gokart to California from GA with them. And a large daycare stroller too. Size limitations since it has to fit in the belly of a bus.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts