My Tractor Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sure are! Just looked at the radar and what looks like squall line is halfway through MA so i'm assuming very shortly its going to get real windy here. Time to batten down the hatches! lol

·
Parts collector
2,865 Posts
Dang I was in the basement working and could hear the wind outside! :tango_face_surprise gusts up to 60mph average was 30-40mph.

·
Premium Member
7,882 Posts
It was windy here overnight, but not as bad as it could have been. There are scattered power outages already.

It's really starting to pick up now. Being Monday morning, it's trash day and I was dodging trash and trash cans (and the residents chasing them) on the commute this morning.

Mike

·
I'll never get to 10,000
4,869 Posts
We lost power a little after 11 PM last night. Latest from utility co. is 12 noon for possible restoration. Supposedly only 32 customers in our area, so I figure we will be on bottom of list. We got the generator hooked up & plenty of gas so am not too concerned.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,882 Posts
They're saying over 31,000 customers affected so far in this area. I saw a road blocked by a downed branch (and it was touching wires) when I went out for lunch.

Mike

·
Administrator
13,702 Posts
Our power//phones/internet was knocked out for two hours. Murphy's Law said that as soon as I started up the generator, the power would come back on. That's what happened. Kudos to National Grid for restoring it so quickly.

·
Premium Member
7,882 Posts
There are currently over 50,000 outages in our region. There are three in neighboring towns, each affecting over 100 homes. One looks to be within a mile or two of my neighborhood.

Still howling like a freight train out there. Nothing big down in my yard (yet), at least not close enough to see it from the house in the dark. Went out with a flashlight and decided that was not a good plan...

Mike

·
Registered
972 Posts
Im more prepared than ever.Three power outages in three weeks (36hr,24hr,24hr)Two were big explosions from transformers. My only complaint is that I cant get a car out.To much snow for little tractor,4WD truck has a bad harmonic balancer,happy I finally figured that out,but now I wont drive it.

·
Premium Member
7,882 Posts
I'm amazed at how little damage there was in my area, after listening to all that wind for the past 30 or so hours. They're forecasting high winds again today, but it's really diminished already.

Mike

·
I'll never get to 10,000
4,869 Posts
Power came back on sometime around noon. The wife had shut generator down when she left in morning but did not throw main breaker on. When she got home around 2:30, she threw main breaker & power was there.
Not a lot of damage around by us except for the tree that fell on power lines that caused our outage.

·
Registered
850 Posts
A bunch of smaller branches down, I'll need to clear them off the drive before the 3-5" snow predicted for Wednesday night get here so nothing clogs the blower. It supposed to be cold enough so it will be light fluffy stuff. I see a couple of trees out in the woods that blew over, but they were already pretty dead, so no surprise. Had some big stuff come down in eastern Mass, one tree pretty much cut a house in two! Luckily no one was hurt. Our area had a massive ice storm about 10 years ago that brought a lot of weak trees down, and they've been pretty aggressive keeping stuff back from the lines. After that storm everyone ran and got generators, we have an automatic 14k, and since then we haven't really lost power too much.

·
Premium Member
7,882 Posts
I remember that ice storm, it was quite nasty. The tops of even healthy trees saw significant damage.

Mike

81 - 93 of 93 Posts