My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Was not expecting yesterday's ice storm... I've got major tree damage everywhere. Needed the chainsaw just to get out my driveway this morning. Needed it again to get back in about 3 hours later.
Feel free to keep that weather in Ohio

·
Administrator
11,673 Posts
Was not expecting yesterday's ice storm... I've got major tree damage everywhere. Needed the chainsaw just to get out my driveway this morning. Needed it again to get back in about 3 hours later.

We had the ice in the morning then rain all day and then switched to snow. Snowing so hard about 7:30pm could hardly see to drive but still melting on roads. Then 3:30am to about 6am Friday morning power was out due to a tree on the line someplace after the wind picked up.

·
Senior Moment
3,215 Posts
We had the ice in the morning then rain all day and then switched to snow. Snowing so hard about 7:30pm could hardly see to drive but still melting on roads. Then 3:30am to about 6am Friday morning power was out due to a tree on the line someplace after the wind picked up.
Luckily my power stayed on... That "rain all day" was turning to ice as it hit, then when it changed to snow it was wet heavy stuff. I'm at 1200-1300 feet elevation, so it's a little colder here.

My oak trees still had all their leaves so they caught all that weight. Pine trees did too.

I've got so many limbs down it will be spring before I can clean this mess up.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Thursday night and yesterday, received the second 1 to 2 inch snow fall in the past week. This one seems to be sticking so far. Late summer and fall were very wet. Pulled mud up from the lawn in places, soil condition is more like April than November. I don't know what all this means for winter. I recall some past years of early snow/cold resulting in very mild winters. Then too, some years, the snows just stayed through April. I'm northwest of Detroit.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,604 Posts
It's been very wet here all year too,especially since September..
I bet the frost will penetrate deep this winter,with the soil so saturated..
A local river is at flood stage,has been close to overflowing its banks for several weeks each time more rain falls--we seem to get 1-2" every 3-4 days lately..

Thursday nights "surprise" Nor'Easter sucked..caught most towns off guard--not enough plows and many of the private contractors they hire to plow were not set up yet to plow..lots of crashes,roads were horrible during the night & early AM Friday..
I got over 6" here before it turned to rain,then it was 4" of slush ,had to get it off the driveway before it froze solid last night..today "might" hit 48 degrees,and they say it'll be the "warmest" day in the next 7-10 days...so much for my full heating oil tank,its going down fast already,just filled it on Nov.1st..:(

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
I took on Mother Nature two years ago, purchased a 28" Ariens snowblower.

Free financing if paid off in two years, paid it off and have not used it yet.

I'm sure I will not win this battle.

Picked up an Ingersoll 4018 with a blade and a JD 455 that I am looking at a 54" blade next week.

Mother Nature insurance has it's price!

CCMoe

·
Parts collector
2,772 Posts
As with most of the east coasters I was still in mowing/leaf mulching mode when this storm came. So the 314 didn't have the blower on it and if it had it was too wet to blow. the 300 with the plow is down and I don't know why it won't start yet. The plow pump on my "plow truck" took a dump last year so I couldn't plow with that either. it was ugly Took me 1.5hrs to go 15 miles and barely made it up the driveway in the minivan.

Time to get the stuff on track now I guess. :tango_face_crying:

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
I used to think this was a sure sign, let's hope so...

We got absolutely dumped on by acorns the past two autumns, but almost none this year. We got plenty of snow the last two winter, maybe we'll get a break this winter?

Mike

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I used to think this was a sure sign, let's hope so...

We got absolutely dumped on by acorns the past two autumns, but almost none this year. We got plenty of snow the last two winter, maybe we'll get a break this winter?

Mike
at one time I rented a place with a lotta Oak trees & used a sweeper to pick up the acorns.. put them in a old cast iron bathtub.. u should have seen the squirrels that come to get them.. I bet we had every one in the neighbored..

·
Premium Member
10,390 Posts
Just found out we might get another 6-8” of snow tonight. At least I’m ready hope to God this time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
15,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Just found out we might get another 6-8” of snow tonight. At least I’m ready hope to God this time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hope so too.. the first snowfall catches a lotta people off guard.. all I gotta do is put a battery in my machine.. may get it done today..

·
15,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
this is my main blower.. it's a GT Craftsman with a 22 HP engine.. the pics r from years ago.. in the second pic note the wave action above the chute.. I did the 'belt flapper' mod to the impeller.. I got the battery in it today & started her up.. she runs like a charm..

I do have a walk behind blower with a 8 HP engine that I use as a back up or when the snow isn't so deep..

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Anybodybun the Ozarks know what the persimon seeds are saying? I moved a few years ago and have yet to find another tree.

I think what the fork means is a mild winter but a knife means cutting cold and spoon means youll dig a lot of snow.

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts

Wow, if you're not ready with all of that stuff, you never will be!

Mike

·
Registered
972 Posts
Never think about installing dozer blade till after Christmas.They say it will snow Friday nite, at my elevation(3500ft)I don't believe it.

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
It's almost freakish how few acorns I've seen this year. Hopefully, the local mouse population will take a major hit.

Mike

·
15,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
startin Friday we may get a lotta trouble in the form of rain changin to freezin rain then snow.. the last storm just missed us.. all of Iowa below I-80 got hammered with up to a foot of snow.. the new one will hit us centered

·
15,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

·
Premium Member
10,390 Posts

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
Last weekend we had a Blizzard, this weekend we are under a Tornado Warning, you can't beat Illinois weather.

CCMoe

21 - 40 of 93 Posts