My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started this tread all the people on MTF can relate to their snowfalls this year.. we r supposed to get our first snowfall this weekend.. all people can also post their pics of their snow machines too..

today I made the trip to the corn field just north of our property.. I go by what Mother Nature predicts.. I found the husks real loose this year.. this according to mother nature means temps above normal & snowfalls a lot less than normal.. last year I found the same as this year.. our snowfalls were no bigger than 3 inches.. a lotta of them were only an inch.. I used my leaf blower on them

post away for what u find in the corn this year & state ur state when u post.. I'm in western central Iowa..

·
15,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Come on guys.. what has mother nature got in store for u this winter..

·
Senior Moment
3,215 Posts
Cold...

·
Registered
972 Posts
Im predicting a trend of increasing amounts of snow out west,like the old days.Last year,i just missed getting hammered twice,by a degree or two.(3500ft.)

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
I hope you are right with the reading of mother nature. This year all three tractors are down. The snow blower is still in pieces and the house is not ready for a cold winter.

At the present rate of progress I should be ready for winter in about April.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,604 Posts
I'm not much better prepped myself,and winter is almost here,we could get snow anytime now..:(

Speaking of messing with Mother Nature--who else besides me HATES "Turning the clocks back"...

I think it sucks!--we should move them ahead another hour if anything ,so it wont get dark at 4 pm for the next 4 months..who cares if its dark at 7 am...or just leave them at "standard time" year round..

One year back in the 70's when I was in high school,I recall the president ordered not turning the clocks back to "save energy"--it was dark when we went to the school bus stop at 7 am,but by 8 am it was daylight,and no one got killed due to the darkness,despite the cries from all the naysayers .

It was good to come home from school and have at least an hour more of daylight..the nights are just too darn long when it gets dark at 4 pm and stays dark until 6 am..
I hated going to work in the dark,and driving home at 5 pm in pitch black darkness,like it was midnight already..it was like you never saw daylight..:(

Ironically they introduced "daylight savings time" to save energy,but I guess they didn't account for all the light bulbs that had to be turned on sooner and left on longer..Ben Franklin supposedly was who "invented" daylight savings time,but I think its light bulb manufacturers and power companies that are keeping it alive,they make more profits with it staying dark longer!..

Attachments

·
Brockway
477 Posts
Up here in the Northeast this is the "wettest" fall I can remember in the last four decades. If this trend continues into winter I anticipate I'll be shoveling the roof off more than a few times.

·
Super Moderator
25,910 Posts
The ground on even the slightest grade is so slick you can barely walk right now, just soft mud under the grass! We get any kind of wind right now trees are going to be coming down all over the place. We've seen one snow flurry in the last two weeks and it didn't stick. Working on the cab today to get it mounted on the 322 so that I"m ready for what mother nature throws at me. Last year I never even mounted the snowblower, biggest snow was about 6 - 8 inches and the blade handled it just fine.

·
15,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
about a month ago we had 60 MPH wind that lasted for 15 minutes.. it caused a lotta trouble for the REA & the local electric company.. the wind split the trees.. some were over 3 feet in diameter.. the city crew were busy for a week cleaning up the mess..

·
15,000 +posts!
19,604 Posts
Parts of the northeast MA area like Lowell and several other towns,some had winds exceeding 60 mph that felled several trees and some hit homes and took down power lines & poles on Saturday afternoon..
My sisters town in central MA had over 4" of rain fall too!..

Where I am closer to the Cape,we had some rain early ,then it turned windy and the sun poked out quite often..temps are dropping fast from almost 70 yesterday,to the high 30's here overnight..all the trees in my area are 80% bare now,all the leaves fell in the past week..cars were crashing from the wet leaves leaving the roads slick as ice in places early on Saturday too,many accidents resulted...

I have a pretty large cherry tree leaning over my quonset garage for several months,been expecting it to crack and fall on it anytime,its rotten and mushy on the outside,but still feels solid inside..its pulling out of the ground,and every time it rains it probably gets closer to popping out of the ground,which is saturated..

This might be a good time to try yanking it out with my truck before winter sets in,now its easier to see with no leaves all around it...its just a dead bony tree about 10" thick at the base,maybe 30+ feet long,has only a fork at the top,no branches..its only about 6 feet above the garage so I doubt it would have enough momentum to do any damage if it breaks off,it will probably just bounce off it ..

·
Administrator
4,609 Posts
The ground on even the slightest grade is so slick you can barely walk right now, just soft mud under the grass! We get any kind of wind right now trees are going to be coming down all over the place. We've seen one snow flurry in the last two weeks and it didn't stick. Working on the cab today to get it mounted on the 322 so that I"m ready for what mother nature throws at me. Last year I never even mounted the snowblower, biggest snow was about 6 - 8 inches and the blade handled it just fine.
Yeah, same here....I put my trailers to the back of the yard yesterday, slight slope. Went down there just fine, tore up a bunch of sod getting the truck back up. Should have stuck it in 4x4.
I am all ready for winter though, blade and blower both mounted, oils changed, etc

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
For us-this year will be no snow at all. We sold our place in Iowa and will make our official move to SE Alabama-tomorrow Allied Van Lines will be here to load up most of the stuff. I'm dragging a UHaul trailer behind the pickup with the stuff that we need until they arrive at the new house, and we're leaving tomorrow after the movers finish loading all the furniture. We're tired of snow, and want to move to warmer climates while we're still young enough to enjoy it. My wife was able to retire at 55 years old; I am a programmer and work remotely so I can work from anywhere.

about a month ago we had 60 MPH wind that lasted for 15 minutes.. it caused a lotta trouble for the REA & the local electric company.. the wind split the trees.. some were over 3 feet in diameter.. the city crew were busy for a week cleaning up the mess..
We were in Dothan Alabama on October 10 when Michael roared through. We had just made an offer on a new house on the 8th, and had the inspection done on the 9th. If you ever want to find out how solid your marriage is, spend 20 hours in a hotel room (Townplace Suites) with no electricity while the wind is roaring outside at 75 mph and it's raining so hard you can't see 50' out the hotel room window. That lasted around 10 or 12 hours-neither the wind nor the rain abated in that time. Dothan is an evacuation route, and there were a lot of people from Florida in the hotel with us.

I'm looking forward to walking around in shorts and a t-shirt in January and February, and I hope I never see snow again.

·
15,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For us-this year will be no snow at all. We sold our place in Iowa and will make our official move to SE Alabama-tomorrow Allied Van Lines will be here to load up most of the stuff. I'm dragging a UHaul trailer behind the pickup with the stuff that we need until they arrive at the new house, and we're leaving tomorrow after the movers finish loading all the furniture. We're tired of snow, and want to move to warmer climates while we're still young enough to enjoy it. My wife was able to retire at 55 years old; I am a programmer and work remotely so I can work from anywhere.

We were in Dothan Alabama on October 10 when Michael roared through. We had just made an offer on a new house on the 8th, and had the inspection done on the 9th. If you ever want to find out how solid your marriage is, spend 20 hours in a hotel room (Townplace Suites) with no electricity while the wind is roaring outside at 75 mph and it's raining so hard you can't see 50' out the hotel room window. That lasted around 10 or 12 hours-neither the wind nor the rain abated in that time. Dothan is an evacuation route, and there were a lot of people from Florida in the hotel with us.

I'm looking forward to walking around in shorts and a t-shirt in January and February, and I hope I never see snow again.
when I was in my early 20's I worked for the Prattville Ala REC as a pole climber.. since then we have made the trip to Panama City Fla several times..

I do hate to see snow too..

·
15,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't put your long johns away just yet - sleet and rain in Alabama today - 27 outside all day.
yikes.. I used to work in Ala. today our area & Sioux City recorded 60 degrees..

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
Getting hammered in a early nor'easter here Whirly. Started snowing again hard too. I got to get out there and try to get to the machines. I had horrible night sleep due to head cold kicking in. Not even prepared like normal.

Attachments

·
15,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Getting hammered in a early nor'easter here Whirly. Started snowing again hard too. I got to get out there and try to get to the machines. I had horrible night sleep due to head cold kicking in. Not even prepared like normal.
I still need to get my annual flu shot.. may get it today.. all I got to do is put a battery in my GT blower unit.. got the transfer done for my friend from the bagger unit to the blade unit last Wednesday.. also ready to close up the Shelter - Logic shed for the winter.. all batteries have been removed.. & in the heated shop.. Perky needs to have his battery removed as he will not start in the winter..

in the near future I will down size my herd.. keepin all the machines we use for yard maintenance..

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
I still need to get my annual flu shot.. may get it today.. all I got to do is put a battery in my GT blower unit.. got the transfer done for my friend from the bagger unit to the blade unit last Wednesday.. also ready to close up the Shelter - Logic shed for the winter.. all batteries have been removed.. & in the heated shop.. Perky needs to have his battery removed as he will not start in the winter..

in the near future I will down size my herd.. keepin all the machines we use for yard maintenance..

Hear you there my friend. Had all sorts of issues with my stuff. Wish I did it when I felt good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Senior Moment
3,215 Posts
Was not expecting yesterday's ice storm... I've got major tree damage everywhere. Needed the chainsaw just to get out my driveway this morning. Needed it again to get back in about 3 hours later.

·
15,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Was not expecting yesterday's ice storm... I've got major tree damage everywhere. Needed the chainsaw just to get out my driveway this morning. Needed it again to get back in about 3 hours later.
WOW.. u got hit hard.. watched TV some tonight.. in an interview one tree came down.. the tree was just a stub stickin up..

1 - 20 of 93 Posts