My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Sears Fan
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to make something to deal with any snowfall until I get to working on my metal blade. All the pieces are at the school shop right now, and I haven't had much time lately to work on it. Now that I have made this wooden scoop, I can take my time and hopefully churn out a quality homemade blade.

Made the "scoop" for free - it uses a piece of shelving as the main frame, with plywood screwed into it. I took the push frame that I made out of wood for my metal plow (I used it to mock up things to my tractor). It is actually plenty strong for snow. I tested it out pushing wood, and it didn't break, so it should hold up fine for now.

Don't think I need to be worried about snow for a while though the way the weather's been :banghead3

http://s860.photobucket.com/albums/ab169/dmorrill22/SS12/

·
Sears Fan
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Keith! As far as the key switch, I can help you with the wiring since this one was not designed for engines that ground out the SSI to shut off. I added in a relay to fix this. I'll pm you tonight with the details. I used a ski pole as a sort of protective conduit for the plow wiring, because I don't have the S/G pulley cover on (It interferes with it somehow, I'll figure that out later). I had to make a wooden winch mount for the grill - there are two would blocks that keep the winch base from rotating, and the metal strap takes most of the weight.

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
I say "If it works...Use it!".

Very ingenious use of scrap wood until you get your metal blade made!

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
There was a video floating around last winter of a guy who made a wooden snow plow for his tractor, he used a piece of 2x4 as a lift. Video showed him plowing his whole drive.....if it works dude!! There is another thread of a member who made a plywood :johnny bucket/e-bucket" for the front of his.
At least you don't need a welder to fix it, drill and some screws :thThumbsU
Looks good...I'm waiting for your finished product!!! :fing32:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Looks good to me and it beats shoveling, we had one big snow storm and now its t-shirt weather in December :)

·
Sears Fan
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. I got real desperate when we got our two inches of snow, as we haven't had snow since october. This thing actually worked great, with no problems, other than steering. First time "plowing", but I'll save my excitement for the real snow, which will hopefully be on its way this week. Just got tri ribs, so that should help with steering.

·
Premium Member
10,029 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,029 Posts

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I say "If it works...Use it!".

Very ingenious use of scrap wood until you get your metal blade made!
:ditto: It's not permanent but it works for now. My only concern in your setup is the fear of breaking the nose cone. There have been many discussions on here about how difficult these nose pieces are to find or to fix.:fing32:

·
Sears Fan
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whats wrong with the nose cone? I can understand any concern you might have, but the plow itself connects to the axle, and 99% of the weight of the winch is supported by the metal strap. The nose cone simply keeps the winch from twisting.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
ingenuity at it's best ;)

If you break it, you can come buy my SS14 for parts :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Another fine ******* invention!! I like your work.:fing32:

If it works ... use it.

If it breaks... fix it and break it again!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts