My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys have one of these little machines? They are made by Makita and sold under Dolmar (red), John Deere (yellow), and Makita (blue). 24.5cc 4-Stroke...not a 4-Mix/Hybrid like Stihl and Shindaiwa. These have an oil sump and use 10w-30. Supposedly a Subaru-Robin engine. They seem to be really cool and I am thinking about getting one. Not that I need another blower, but I like tinkering with engines and I have never seen a true 4-stroke this small. The negatives are that you have to keep it mostly upright while running, and they only hold about 3 ounces of oil, so it wouldn't take long to burn it up if you weren't careful. Still only weighs about 9.5 pounds and is rated at 1.1hp. That's more power than my 27cc 2-stroke Stihl. Really?? The Makita Tops out at 7800rpm when my Stihl tops out at 7200. Has someone finally figured out how to make a 4-Stroke that will outpower a 2-stroke CC to CC? I have seen a review on Youtube and read some stuff, but I kinda wanted to know how they are in real life...not how great they work right out of the box...most things do. Longevity is in question. I don't think it can compare to the good old Stihl BG-series blowers, but nevertheless, it looks cool. And sounds like a mini-bike according to youtube. Any opinions? Should I just buy one and play with it?

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
While I have never used one of those, I did use a Toro 4 cycle weedwacker and it was a gas hog. I ran it out of fuel a few times because it drank it so fast. I'll take my 2 stroke FS70 over the 4cycles any day.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
On my last scrap run to Long Island, I got a NOS Shindaiwa EB 2510 4-stroke hand held blower. Like the Stihl, it runs on mixed fuel. It would nose over if given more than about 1/3 throttle, that's why I got it. I replace the non-adjustable carburetor ($43.00), and it runs like a dream. Beats a two stroke seven days to Sunday. I run it on 80:1, so there is no smoke or smell.

I don't understand the logic of an oil reservoir in hand-held equipment. There is just too much to go wrong.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's another thing that is supposed to be a lot better on the new 4-strokes...fuel usage. That little blower above claims an 80 minute run time on 17.7 ounces of gas. My Stihl will run wide open for just about an hour on a 13.5 ounce tank. Both work out to about .22 ounces per minute.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,405 Posts
I'm interested in any experience too. I have an ancient Echo blower that has served me well, but I've started carrying a small screw driver clipped to the shoulder strap for field carb jet adjustments which seem required about every other tank of fuel. So, a new blower is in the future, and I'd likely go back to Echo based on the excellent service I've received from my current one, but I admit I am intrigued by the Dolmar. I am also very happy with my Dolmar chainsaw which of course is 2-cycle, but the local dealer is a great guy to work with.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I ordered a Dolmar PB-251.4 handheld and a PB-7601.4 backpack (huge). Check back for a review in about a week. I love to tinker, and I couldn't resist the tiny 4-Strokes....so I got one on each end of the spectrum.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the Dolmar handheld today. I must say, this thing is so cool! Took it out if the box, added 2.7oz of Rotella 10w-30 Syn Blend (the good stuff for my 7.3) filled the gas and it was alive in one very lazy pull. First pull! It's a 2010 leftover, mind you. Has great power comperable to my Stihl BG55 and Echo PB251 and just sounds great! Like the Honda 70 my brother had as a kid. I looked at the parts breakdown and all engine bearings are either ball bearings or needle bearings like your average 2-stroke. Actually has an oil pump too...not just a slinger. Walbro Carb. Overall good build quality. I have a big job tomorrow and we will see how it does.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I will try to get a video of the strange exhaust note soon. Here's a picture of the little guy. I misread the fuel consumption rating. The 80 minute runtime was for the big 76cc backpack. They don't have a spec for the handheld, but I ran mine for roughly an hour today and the tank is still well over half. Impressive.

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ran the blower for 4.5 hours today. Engine is gaining power and throttle response is getting smoother. The leaves were wet, so I spent most of the time wide open. Averaged 75 minutes per tank. So far, I love this machine. Hasn't used any oil yet either. The book says it will usually need topped off every 10 hours or so. I can't wait to get the big mama backpack blower on Monday. 76cc's should be pretty fun compared to this little 24cc toy.

Reactions: Jere39

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am sorry for so many posts and no replies, but I got my backpack today. All I can say is "WOW!" It blows the limestone off my driveway at idle. It's heavy, but makes quick work of leaves, twigs, dirt, rocks, etc. Nice large paper air filter. Comfortable handle. Very quiet too. 3.8hp and unknown torque but it sure rocks my whole body when throttling up. I have found no need for more than half throttle yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am sorry for so many posts and no replies, but I got my backpack today. All I can say is "WOW!" It blows the limestone off my driveway at idle. It's heavy, but makes quick work of leaves, twigs, dirt, rocks, etc. Nice large paper air filter. Comfortable handle. Very quiet too. 3.8hp and unknown torque but it sure rocks my whole body when throttling up. I have found no need for more than half throttle yet.
I have been thinking about one of these. Now that you have some time on the thing how is it still running for you? Any problems! Small rocks are no problem, eh?

·
Registered
122 Posts
resurrect an old thread. I have a new Dolmar version and it is a darn swiss watch. Love it.. Its so darn quiet and powerful , 2 strokes are not even in contention anymore.. Amazing machine..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a brand new Dolmar PB 7601.4 blower last week. I also have the Dolmar PB 251.4 handheld four stroke which I love and have had it for 2 years now. My question to you guys that have the Dolmar PB 7601.4 backpack blower is this. Does it bog down when you hit the gas then rev up. Mine almost acts like it is going to flood out then revs up. My handheld Dolmar is very torquey and it sounds like this one should be the same from what I am reading on this thread and other places. I am not seeing it act like that at all. Seems kind of doggie. I have brand new non-ethanol premium gas in it so gas should not be the issue. I am going to check the spark plug gap to see if maybe that is not set even close to right. Based on the rave reviews on Amazon about the Makita (same blower) I don't think mine is acting right but the dealer I got it from is about 4 hours away so it is not a easy drop off to have it looked at. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread in search of long term experience updates from the posters who previously participated, and any newer comments from owners of Makita MM4 four stroke back pack blowers or yard equipment.

I'm trying compare 4 stroke (Makita / Dolmar) with 2 stroke. I've never owned a back pack blower before.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts