My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I freshened up the mowing deck on on the 444 and before I put it on I wanted to change the oil in the hydraulic system. I've only had the tractor for a little while, only used it three times last year before I parked it for the winter. I haven't used it this year yet as I wanted to get the deck done and do all required maintenance on the tractor just so I know what's been done and how it's been done before I really press it into service.
So I dumped the hydraulic system and refilled it with Rotella T and put the deck back on. Since I had everything out I figured I might as well change the transaxle fluid. So I put the drain pan under the drain, popped the filler plug out and popped the drain plug out. Hmmm seems weird it's flowing awfully slow, then I got the smell, dog gone it, gear oil, that would explain why it was draining so slow. Someone had put gear oil in the trans axle, it looked kinda dirty too. Well I let it drain real well, filled it back up with Rotella T and moved on to changing the engine oil.
Since I was thinking about the gear oil in the trans axle I forgot to warm the engine up before I started to drain the oil, not the way I prefer to do an oil change but not the end of the world. The engine oil only had about six hours on it anyway since I did change that first thing when I got the tractor. I finished the oil change, cleaned everything up and was really starting to wonder if the gear oil in the trans axle might have done any damage? I don't know how long it's been in there or how many hours it has on it and not being familiar with the trans axles in these tractors I don't know what might be susceptible to damage. I don't see any external leaks and everything seems to be working good so I figured I'd throw the question out to you guy's and get your thoughts about it. Any potential problems that you can think of or anything I need to keep an eye out for?

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
The only reasonable thing for you to do at this point would be to sell the tractor to me for five bucks. :ROF

When it comes to the trans-axles in these tractors, you can use 80/90 gear oil or 15W40 or 20W50 motor oil. Any of those is just fine and the Operator's Manuals printed by Colt, Case and Ingersoll all agree with that advice. I prefer the motor oil because it's less expensive to buy and I like to change out the oil every couple of years. It's not that I concerned about the oil breaking down. I'm more concerned about knowing whether water got in there as well as just flushing any contaminants out of there.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
darn Caseguytoo, you beat me to it. I was thinking $10.:ROF :ROF

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only reasonable thing for you to do at this point would be to sell the tractor to me for five bucks. :ROF

That was my first thought, but then I figured I'd check to see if it was still worth the five bucks, didn't want to rip you off.:ROF

Thanks for the response CGT. I have to go back and check my operators manual again, I looked but some how missed the gear oil recommendation. probably because I looked at a bunch of your old posts on transaxle lube recommendations then verified with the operators manual without really reading the whole thing. I kinda didn't think it would be a problem but I didn't know if it would be a problem with any seals in any way. Checked the operators manual before I hit send and what do you know, there it is, a recommendation for No.80 gear oil. Thank you very much Caseguytoo.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
My 1979 model year Case 220 ops manual states:

"Transmission: Use SAE 20w40 motor oil or SAE 80 EP gear lube in the transmission year round." Both are not easy to find and expensive. My plan is to use 75w90 gear oil that I've got on hand.
For the hydraulic system my manual states: "Use 5w20 motor oil in the winter (below 32F). Use 20w40 motor oil in the summer. Again, 20w40 is rare and expensive. 15w40 is readily avail.

Joel

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
CGT will steal you blind if you give him a chance--I'll give you a fair price of $50.
He has nothing to fear. As of last week, I am full up at the Case Inn. Nonetheless, I did buy a 222 today for $200.00. Now, I have to figure where I 'm going to store it. :ROF

·
26,679 Posts
Pittsburg Kansas Caseguytoo!:ROF :ROF :trink39:

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
.. I did buy a 222 today for $200.00. Now, I have to figure where I 'm going to store it. :ROF

Oooo! I finished up the shed not too long ago.. How'bout there?

Joel

·
26,679 Posts
I will build a new shed andpaint it to match the 222!

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Joel,

Nice shed and future tractor operators--it looks to me like you are going to be a 4 Case family minimum.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Joel,

Nice shed and future tractor operators--it looks to me like you are going to be a 4 Case family minimum.
Thanks! My littlest guy loves anything mechanical and sure loves to "help". :banghead3

Joel

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Just got done draining/refilling the transaxle on my 220. The oil I drained didn't look bad. A little dark. No signs of water or solids. It did however smell like a mixture of motor oil w/ some gear oil. It flowed very easily and had a light stank of gear oil where ALL gear oil has that strong nasty odor.:eck15: Anyhoo.. In went 3qts of 75w90.

Joel

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
3qts is what my manual spec'd and that's the amount that came out when I drained it?

Joel

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Yes, that's one of the mysterys of the manuals--the recommended oil fill has ranged from around 3 qts to less than 1.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I think the factory specs changed over the years, even though the mechanism remained pretty much the same. The gears will carry and throw the oil with very little in the bottom. Volume is not needed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts