My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies to the squeemish in advance. Slight disgust-factor in this topic.. :eck34:

I'm guessing this is a fairly common problem. I've got my own way of dealing with it but thought I'd ask if others have some clever solutions. Yes, life has bigger problems, but sometimes I like to take a break and over-think some trivial ones...

Problem:
Fenced 1/2 acre backyard is also the dog's "minefield". The wife and I try to do the scooper thing frequently but there are always some deposits that get missed. Along comes the riding mower and, inevitably, "you sank my battleship!". Turf treads gunked up in multiple places. When done, the tractor goes back in the garage, where it commences smelling up the place unless I conduct a rather unpleasant cleaning operation before hand.

Here's what I've tried and the reasons they aren't working too well for me...

1. Train the dog to go in a limited area of the yard, preferably the small wooded strip we have at the back. Problem: this sort of works (for a while) but you have to keep at it, and doesn't work consistently. I guess when you gotta go, you gotta go.

2. Hose/pressure-wash the tires off before putting the tractor back in the garage. Problem 1: "backscatter". Not pleasant. Problem 2: I try not to get any part of the tractor underside wet, especially the belts. Hard to avoid when blasting the tire treads with enough force to dislodge the offending material.

3. Same as above but using compressed air. Problem, also get backscatter this way. Plus it has the effect of blasting the aroma into the air and making matters worse (temporarily).

4. Scrub. Problem: kinda requires getting up close and personal. See photo above. Also it requires scrubbing, then moving the tractor to expose more tread, scrub some more, repeat. Gets tedious.

5. Store the tractor in the shed instead of garage -- out of sight (nose), out of mind. Problem: won't fit through the shed doors, plus this just moves the stink to another confined space I have to occasionally occupy.

6. If I had the room I might try creating a couple troughs maybe 2" deep and at the spacing of my tires, that I could fill with water then just drive back and forth through them. Problem: standing water would create a mosquito problem, or if it evaporates between uses I would need to fill them again each time (and I'm lazy). Plus would be a rather permanent fixture and I don't want to use up the space.

I do perform a once-over walk around the yard before mowing to try to catch the few mines we may have missed earlier but these things are stealthy and often avoid my detection... I may just have to be more thorough.:fing20:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I saw a clever device for a power washer just a couple weeks ago. Some guy put a cone on near the end of the wand. Similar to one for a dog so as not to scratch his ears. That would sure help eliminate the splash back issue....

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
just get an extention wand like on a pressure cleaner and tell your wife you wash it off with a ten foot hose. :)

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
If you're the guy that lives across the street from me, I feel for ya! But I smell the stuff day in and day out if the wind's from your direction not just after mowing. I go along with Caseguy... minus the obvious option.:D

I suppose if my outhouse overflowed somebody would complain too...:ROF

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
I taught my dog to go in the bush. Karcher makes the Pressure Washer Rotary Wash Brush that might combat the back splatter on the face and overspray on the belts. You could always try a long handled truck wash brush that goes on the end of a garden hose.

·
New Idaho retiree
288 Posts
racing slicks? They could also be fun in the turns when the grass is wet. The poo could even help with the slide if fresh enough. Might wanna wear a rain coat though. :thThumbsU

·
Landscaping Nut
1,362 Posts
I have the same problem with my yard/dog/mower. Pooper scooper patrol seems to be the best bet. Once its in those treads it just a bad deal all around. Hate having to wash it out and deal with the pungent pieces.

I spray it off with a hose from a good distance. Using a brush and bucket is too odoriferous for me.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Here is a thought. If you don't have hills or wet grass to contend with, spray a little wd-40 on the tires so it won't stick. I may try this myself. One thing that I do is I drive up and down my gravel driveway a few times and it does help.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
As they say.... S**t happens... so why not convert a small houver craft and leave the s**t for nature to clean up.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Wow, You amused me this morning thanks.:thanku:

I can't imagine washing tractor tires. But then I am not everyone. :fing20:

I have 2 large Drahthaars that are in the 65 and 85# range. Trust me I am familiar with "minefields". The stuff I miss in poop patrol I will try and avoid with the tires. But you will not see it all. I try and mow the heaviest "mined" area first and the other areas of the lawn where the dogs frequent last. Since I am mowing 3 acres. I can work it out of the tread by the time I am done. The 2305 has much wider tires and can consequently hold more err... debris.

·
Registered
217 Posts
My dog Bruno the Wonder Dog is medium sized excavator/chipper shredder mix. Even though he is not a large dog, I often encounter these huge mounds which I call "Mt. Pooji".

I have found that if I mow the back yard first, by the time I finish the front yard most of the material from these crushed "mountains" has been cleaned off the tires by simply driving on the grass. The rest I either take care of with the hose or simply leave the tractor outside for a couple of days till it drys up (I keep the gates locked most of the time anyway), after which a couple of laps around the yard will usually cause it to flake off. :trink40:

·
Father to Triplets + 1
1,034 Posts
I cut the back first, and I have ags and tri ribs. Does not seem to stick too bad. Plus you can tell the wife you need the tires!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
This is a easy one. Dog owners have dog **** on their mower tire's, that's all there is to it.

You could get some old tube's , cut them up a little so they fit your tires like those rubber's for your shoes.

Then hang them on the fence post after mowing the doggie matter. Next time just slip them back on the tires, etc....

I know this sounds crazy but so does this topic...:ROF

·
15,000 +posts!
20,416 Posts
I have the same proble,only with cat poop!..several "barn" cats are always hanging in my yard..lately though,they have been using my lean-to shed as a litter box,more than the lwan,but also have neighbors who walk their dogs and let them crap on MY front yard ometimes too (hasn't happened since a year or so ago,when I collected all the droppings and set them on their front step in a paper bag,with a note saying "I think your dog lost this in MY yard!--I'd appreciate it if he didn't trespass any more")..

As for getting the crap out of the tires,yes,it is difficult when its fresh,no easy way out..and it IS annoying when it stinks your garage up,especially if its attached to your home,or you spend any time in it working or lounging..washing it off dont work that well,and often you get some on YOU while removing it from the tractor..

It seems the only way to avoid this is to never mow the lawn,or blacktop the entire yard,or mulch it so it never needs mowing..probably why many yuppies homes here are exactly that way..makes sense to me,use mulch,wood chips or pine needles,then you wont need a mower period,or waste precious hours off your life mowing stupid grass..it would save a lot of gas and money..

1 - 20 of 66 Posts