My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Father to Triplets + 1
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so there is no dog doo, just testing someone elses theory. Thought I would post some pics of the garden so far.

This is a broad shot showing most of the 30x35 garden.

Here is the broccoli and cauliflower. They are getting eaten alive by the cammage moths. Been using Diatomacceous Earth, but they seem to be winning. I think I am going to try Bt and see if that does them in.

Here is a close up of some of the damage.

Pictures of a few of my heirloom tomatos. They seem to be doing well, lets hope it stays that way.

This is something interesting and new for me this year. It is called a chichiquelite. It is supposed to grow small tasty berries. I'll let you guys know how this one turns out.

The row of peppers. All the green stuff on the ground is a grass clipping mulch. I'm trying that instead of composting this year. So far it seem to keep weeds down, and the tomatos are definately liking it. The peppers and beans just got thiers so we'll see how they like it.

And a pepper flower.

A hill of beans... Now whats that worth again? Worth a whole lot to me when I'm eating fresh green beans.

Here is a couple shots of my watering system. 3 20' soaker hoses. Two of them are joined together to cover a row and a half, so I can water two rows at once.

And here is my kids tangled up slinkies. There are 4 slinkies in there and I have no idea how they tangled them up so bad. I figured since there was no dog doo I had to give you guys something different.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Looks good.Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
looks good Justin. I also mulch every year with my grass clippings. I mulch heavier than you,5 inches thick to start, do the entire garden, then cover the paths with woodshavings from my shop (I'm a woodworker by trade). By the end of the growing season the grass clippings are less than an inch thick and get tilled in. After using heavy grass clipping mulch for the last 6 years, the quality of my soil has improved dramatically. I basically follow the Ruth Stout method, with a few variations of my own.

As a matter of fact, I don't think I'm going to use any power equiptment in that garden anymore, the soil is so loose now. A fork sinks right in. Besides I have 4 other large gardens for the Gravely and other tractors to work.

·
Father to Triplets + 1
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow thats great stony. I would love to lay down a ruth stout mulch, I just don't have that much material available. My neighborhood has a lot of true chem lawns so I don't want to use other peoples grass. Hopefully one day I'll have soil like that.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
yeah, you need a lot. Thankfully I have the land, and spend a bit of time early in the season, bagging areas I just mow the rest of the year. I'm just getting started, as here in upstate NY growing season is just starting.

Some of my potatoe plants poked thru, my greenbeans and peas are getting good sized, and some of the tomatoes and peppers are in. Planted 1/2 the corn today. Other 1/2 next weekend. In total the corn alone is 3 plots, 75 yards long x 12 feet wide. After planting 1/2 of it today, I added a brinley sleeve hitch tonite to my 1963 Jacobsen, and in the morning I'm building a row maker for it, which will also double as a yorkrake with more tines added to it.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
No doggy doo but slinky sex. LOL

That ground looks dryer than a popcorn fart. We catch rain water for the gardens. We do use soaker hoses in our flower beds but the plants don't thrive on well water, it's just way too hard.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
That ground looks dryer than a popcorn fart. QUOTE]

thats the beauty of using deep grass mulch. Under all that mulch is damp ground. Even when the rest of the dirt in the area is DRY

·
Father to Triplets + 1
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would like to collect rain water, just don't have the systems in place. That is some pretty obscene slinky footage isn't it?

Man Stony, I don't know what you are going to do with all that corn. You got someone lined up to buy it?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
roadside stand and farmers market Justin

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
I would like to collect rain water, just don't have the systems in place.
I only collect the rain water off my 10' x 20' shed into two 50 gallon barrels. I'd like to collect the rain water off the house too but the wife doesn't want rain barrels next to the house. My downspouts go underground so I'd like to put in well casing and put hand pumps on them. It's pure clay so I wouldn't lose much water.

I've got tons of grass and leaf mulch but the wife won't let it anywhere near her garden. She claims it's full of weed seeds. She did accept a wheelbarrow load of chainsaw cuttings from my firewood processing to mulch around the raspberries. Raspberries love rotting wood mulch.

I use the composted grass and leaf mulch to top dress the lawn and fill in low spots.

·
MTF Member Since Day 1
622 Posts
Nice Garden, I wish I could say ours was that far along, we just today got the corn planted. We have Radishes and Peas growing good and onions just starting to show, tomato plants should get transplanted next week if the warm weather stays. Hopefully our cold nights of low 40's are gone.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I've got tons of grass and leaf mulch but the wife won't let it anywhere near her garden. She claims it's full of weed seeds. She did accept a wheelbarrow load of chainsaw cuttings from my firewood processing to mulch around the raspberries. Raspberries love rotting wood mulch.

I use tons of grass mulch, have for years and don't have weeds. My wife said the same thing. I did it anyway in the vege garden, starting 6 years ago. She is sold.

Chainsaw cuttings won't go anywhere near anything I eat. All that bar oil....no thanks.

Our rasberrys and blackberrys are mulched with grass clippings. They love it.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
:ditto: On the chainsaw cuttings, too much bar oil. My grass cutting have dandelions in it. I don't feed my lawn either.

Would that make for weeds in the garden ? I used straw last year, plowed in what was left this year. Seem to work ok.

Nice garden Justin. :thThumbsU

Anyone plant their peppers together ? I put 3 plants (Bells) in a triangle so the leaves touch. Seem to have better yeilds.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
my grass cuttings have dandelions also, but my garden doesn't.

If it did I wouldn't care. Dandelions are a great vege, similar to spinach, cooked or raw.

·
Father to Triplets + 1
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stony,

Have you done the roadside stand before, or is this the first year? Is it a big stand somewhere or just in front of your house? We used to have one here on one of the in town highways but it is closed now. I see some people sell right out of thier gardens also. Hope it does great.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
The wife claims that the stinging nettle that invaded her garden one year came from some compost she got from a local nursery. Never argue with the wife.

As for bar oil, I go through 2 quarts to buck up 12 cord which yields over 20 wheelbarrow loads of cuttings. So... doing the math, worst case is 1/10th of a quart only if 100% of the oil ends up in the cuttings. Being as we don't eat any other part of the plant than the fruit, I don't think I'll be poisoned by the minute traces that the microbes in the soil missed.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
this will be the 1st year Justin. Previously we have only grown enough to feed us for a year

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
The wife claims that the stinging nettle that invaded her garden one year came from some compost she got from a local nursery. Never argue with the wife.

As for bar oil, I go through 2 quarts to buck up 12 cord which yields over 20 wheelbarrow loads of cuttings. So... doing the math, worst case is 1/10th of a quart only if 100% of the oil ends up in the cuttings. Being as we don't eat any other part of the plant than the fruit, I don't think I'll be poisoned by the minute traces that the microbes in the soil missed.

sounds like your not using enough bar oil. You should have to fill the oil tank everytime you fill the gas. Otherwise you are wearing out the bar, chain and saw.

My saw chips smell like oil.

·
Father to Triplets + 1
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How much land you got Stony?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
How much land you got Stony?

30 acres, about 15 wooded, 2 fields about 6 acres each, and the area around the house. The Stonykill creek divides my land (nice trout fishing as a bonus)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts