My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an old wizard.. couldnt even begin to tell you the year or anything.
12 HP/38 Inch cut
It runs ok (but it has to be choked) I didnt want to tear the carb apart till after the cutting season was over if I could just keep it choked and use it.
Anyway heres my issue.
I can leave this thing out there idling all day and it never has an issue.
If I try to cut with it and put a load on it it lasts about ten minutes and gradually slows the engine speed and eventually dies.
It will start again after about ten minutes and do it over again.
I was thinking maybe something electrical but I just went out and tried it and once it started dying i sprayed some ether in it and it perked up till the ether wore off.
So Im curious is it due for a carb overhaul or has anyone had a similar experience and found a quicker, easier solution?
Let me know.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
The next time you start it and it starts to die open the gas tank. If it runs better the hole in the cap is plugged up. If that does not help then you may have a filter plugged or you need to pull the carb and clean it.
Dave

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill go see if I can finish cutting the back yard now and try the gas cap.. I forgot all about that.
I dont think its the filter.. the filter is see through and it appears clean.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that didnt work. Guess Ill try tomorrow.. batterys about dead.. gonna charge it overnight.

·
Banned
2 Posts
to me it sounds like the carb needs a good cleaning ...It could be over heating as well what oil do you have in it and when was the time it was changed ..I would check the head bolts to make sure there tight

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont doubt the carb needs cleaned.. like i said I have to run it on choke. But it ran fine on the choke till the other day.
I dont know on the oil. I havent changed it.. got it a couple of months ago with the oil thats in it.. he said he just changed it but I didnt ask what he put in.
What should the head bolts be torqued to roughly? Or just make em good and tight but not overtight?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts