My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
I believe that they recommend 15w40 for the diesels.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Not the same oil for diesels and gas... Diesels require compression rated oils... Off the top of my head, the modern oils are CI-4, CI-4Plus, and CJ-4.... 15-40W is normally a good bet because it is a weight common for diesels, but you need to check to make sure. Amsoil, Delo, Rotella, Royal Purple, Deere, etc, etc. all make a compression rated oils (to name just a few brands).

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Rotella 15W-40 is the standard for Diesels. Everyone I know who cares about their diesels runs Rotella and a Wix/Napa Gold filter. Its pretty cheap too, at 11.00/gallon at walmart or Napa.

I also run Rotella 5W-40 in my Gas tractor and the 10W-30 in my truck.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I run Amzoil 15w40 in my 430 diesel, love the stuff. Adam

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
For now, I am running what Deere recommends. I may run Rotella T in the future.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
What about the prices per quart, more or less for a diesel?

Thanks guys for your answers so far.

Rob
Rob,

A high quality diesel oil should not cost any more per quart then a high quality oil for a gas engine.

You only need to make sure the oil is "rated" for diesel engines. Many of the good oil brands used for gas engines are also diesel rated.

Which viscosity you choose depends on the manufacturer's recommendation for the ambient operating temps.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
He better get brace on the stack before he has some real problems. Sounds good. slkpk

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Too much clatter, you can tell it's not a good diesel... Good diesels aren't made out of aluminum :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts