My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just registered online. I am wondering whether everyone can help out a rookie on an urgent problem.

I just bought a JD 425. The seller bought it new in 1999. The serial number is M00425A062897, which I think makes it a 1998 model. Given that should I worry about the dreaded plastic cam issue? Or the steel one was in the tractor.

I paid 4K for a 10 old tractor (with 54" deck, no aws, and 350 hours for mowing only - according to the owner) and hope it is trouble-free, as least immediately.

Please help me out on this. I will also post it to the forum once my account is approved.

njrookie

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the welcome. Have not picked up the tractor yet. I want to run it through the senior experts here first. If it has the old plastic cam, I will probably skip and wait for next one to come up.

Is it common to a dealer to sell a model one year old as "new"? The seller has the receipt dated July 1999, while the model number says it is really a 1998 model.

njrookie

·
Registered
812 Posts
Thank you for the welcome. Have not picked up the tractor yet. I want to run it through the senior experts here first. If it has the old plastic cam, I will probably skip and wait for next one to come up.

Is it common to a dealer to sell a model one year old as "new"? The seller has the receipt dated July 1999, while the model number says it is really a 1998 model.

njrookie
1998 leftover but still new. When I bought my 2009 mower they still had new, no hours, 2008s on the floor for same price. Sorry can't help on the cam question.

·
Registered
948 Posts
The plastic cam gear was used up through most of the 1999 units. From 2000 on, all units had the steel cam gear. So, your's most likely has the plastic cam gear, unless the previous owner had it changed. I would ask.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am glad that I asked. The owner does not know about the plastic cam issue at all. The tractor currently has only 350 hours. Should I skip it then? 4K for a problematic tractor might be too much.

How do I find out exactly? I asked the seller for the engine number. Is the S/N from john deere modem insufficient to identy the plastic cam?

I do not want to spend 4K and them have to come up with another 6-7K to pay for the repair.

njrookie

·
Super Moderator
17,815 Posts
Based on the engine seriel number your JD dealers Parts Dept. can look it up to see if it has a plastic of metal cam. The metal replacement cam parts should be cover by Kawasaki minus the dealers labor. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
812 Posts
I would call your local JD dealership, tell them your issue, which I am sure they are well versed in, and ask how much for the cam replacement and deduct that from your offer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am currently traveling out of country and could not get to my local JD dealer. Not sure how willing they are to help me anyway since they were trying real hard to sell me a X700-series tractor.

Is there any other way to find out about the plastic CAM for my particular serial number? The seller is getting impatient, and really wants a yes or no.

My best,
njrookie

·
Registered
812 Posts
I would still call the dealer. He may not like that you didn't buy his X7xx but he will at least appreciate your service/product business on the other one should you get it. Probably only Kawasaki would know for sure and they won't be open until Monday. If all else fails, there is a guy in MN who offers free technical support via telephone. Check out his webpage. Just google Jimsrepairs Jims Tractors and it will pop right up. His toll free number is right there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i am currently in Hong Kong and will not be back for another week. The hours are very awkward for me to call.

i will wait a couple of days to see.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
It's a kawi recall/CSAT issue from what I understand. They buy the cam, but it's up to you to cover the labor.

Must be more of a concession than a recall. Apparently there are 1000+ hour machines with the plastic cam gear.

As far as the original issue of whether or not the cam has been replaced, I would just tell the seller you want to have a $300 concession for the labor to replace the cam.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I need to make sure that the 425 indeed needs a new cam first. So far has not found any verfication.

It is a 1998 with only 350 hours on it right now. so probably no need to worry about it another 5 years. I was able to talk the seller down to $3800. it is a one user homeowner machine used mostly just for mowing.

I got the feeling the seller is getting impatient. So should I go ahead with the pickup knowing @ $3800 assuming I might need a new steel cam in 4-5 years?

njrookie

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In the meantime, a 1990 JD 318 popped up on the CL.

700 hours + 50" deck for $1800.

Is this a OK deal? It is plenty of tractor for what I need. Just wants to have a backup, maybe even a "front"up plan.

njrookie

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
In the meantime, a 1990 JD 318 popped up on the CL.

700 hours + 50" deck for $1800.

Is this a OK deal? It is plenty of tractor for what I need. Just wants to have a backup, maybe even a "front"up plan.

njrookie
That price is certainly not out of line. I gave $1950 a year ago for my 87 318 with fewer hours.

Condition and maintenance records really dictate the price.

At least 2 1990 and later and one 1986 318s of which I'm aware have been had for less than $1000, but the sellers were motivated.

I wouldn't let the cam issue break the deal on the 425. If you are otherwise happy with the price and condition, you should press on knowing you will need to take care of it later (while the cams are still available).

Of course, if you wind up liking the 318 as much as I like mine, your 425 might get jealous.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts