My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if anyone still manufactures a loader or hoe, and what I should expect to pay for one of these units. I was also curious who all made them?

Do these use the hydraulics off the tractor? or run an external pump driven from the PTO?

I would also like to know how capable my HT23 would be with a loader and only being 2wd? and no locking rear differential.... or does it? Same with the hoe... did or do either of these attachments work well on the HT series?

I could really use a loader for some work we have around the house... and have looked at some compacts recently. I really like the Massey TLB setup, and have also looked at a kubota with loader and hoe as well. Problem though... $$$ and country of origin. I really don't want something foreign made, and I can't justify making payments for a tractor that high... yet. If it wasn't like finding gold in my yard.. I would like a bolens loader and hoe attachment... but i'm pretty sure i'll find gold before I find a hoe.. which is good because I have a feeling these would cost me all of that gold lol.

Any help would be great. I would also like to know if anyone knows the history on the simplicity legacy xl tractors... i'm told they are american made and the loader and hoe is as well???? anyone know if this is true? I know that Briggs owns them...I looked at one with a Diesel Briggs motor, and loader with Cat 1 hitch and rear pto with 4wheel drive. It was really nice and the whole package was in the 14's I think. The hoe was another 4-5 grand though!!! yikes. And i'm left wondering if that tractor is any more capable than my bolens with the same attachements? minus the 4x4 I think the bolens is pretty darn heavy... and the dealer told me that the xl would be the only tractor out there comprable to the bolens I have. The legacy loader lifts 500lbs... so that is my bar to match.

Sooo what do I do? is the money better spent looking for a nice used loader... and possible hoe? or manning up and taking a loan out on a newer ride with questionable reliability... because we all know. The best today... does not compare to the Best of yesteryear.

Thanks,
Nick

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
There were three manufacturers of FEL's for the Large Frames that I am aware of. There may be others. Brantly made an FEL and a small backhoe. Johnson made their Model 14 FEL. And ARK made their Model 506 FEL. All three FEL's were pretty similar in design, as you might expect for one series of tractor. They all had rated payloads of around 500 lbs.

You do see the Johnson loaders on eBay once in a while. To my knowledge, there are no current manufacturers of FEL's that are designed to go on an old Bolens.

Doug

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Brantly 605-B that I use in combination with a Johnson Model 14 FEL on a Bolens HT-20. The way mine is set up, they share Brantly pump that mounts on the front PTO and the reservoir on the FEL. This works well because if you ars using the back hoe, you're goung to need the FEL. I can remove the hoe quick-disconnect the hyraulics at the reservoir and operate the FEL only.

I'm a contractor and have used them both on many jobs for pipes, footings, ... In answer to an earlier question, you can operate the mower deck with the FEL, but not the hoe. Good luck finding one.

·
5000 posts and climbing
5,454 Posts
PFEngineering.

·
Registered
180 Posts
A Koyker model 50 is very close in dimension and specs of the old Johnson 14, but they do not make a universal mount kit for it. I was told that a model 80 universal mount kit could be modified to fit a large frame Bolens. I didn't check into it any further. New price about $2500.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I also no that kwikway used to make FEL's for Bolens. Recently I spoke with a Kwikway designer and he confirmed this. He has been with the company for a long time. He dug through his archives to see if they still had the plans but couldn't come up with them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts