My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. I know Peerless was part of Tecumseh who went bankrupt. They used to make a basic 1" axle with a differential in the middle. Northern Tool used to list them. Is there another company out there that makes another axle with a differential in the middle?
2. Do any companies manufacture a basic gearbox with a foreward and reverse or foreward, neutral, reverse?

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Super Moderator
16,675 Posts
1. I know Peerless was part of Tecumseh who went bankrupt. They used to make a basic 1" axle with a differential in the middle. Northern Tool used to list them. Is there another company out there that makes another axle with a differential in the middle?
2. Do any companies manufacture a basic gearbox with a foreward and reverse or foreward, neutral, reverse?
Tecumseh didn't exactly go Bankrupt http://www.tecumseh.com/en/united-states/about-us They Just Got out of the engine market and trans Market They make Compressors & Peerless is Owned By Husqvarna Now http://www.peerlessgear.com/node5368.aspx :thThumbsU

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found Peerless 100 series 3/4" and 1" axles. I left a message with a sales lady. Waiting for call back which I'm guessing would be next week. I find another axle made in China. I think I'd rather buy American. I also found a gocart F-N-R gearbox. Peerless also has a small multispeed gearbox. Does anyone know if Dana makes mower sized axles? Who in the past has made axles?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Surplus Center had some of this sort of thing in their last catalog.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
MTF New Poster
2,163 Posts
That is a neat solution to a project I have- Does anyone know of a version of that's able to handle about 60hp?
I haven't seen anything in the aftermarket.Some marine transmissions are F-N-R and rated for 60 + HP but those are expensive used.I think some of the older full size tractors had an F-N-R with a reduction box for gearing.Not 100% sure about that.I have only operated a few full size tractors with a real transmission.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
The main restriction on mine is that it needs to be a parallel shaft type. I am modifying a very large snowmobile to have reverse, the easiest way is to replace the jackshaft with a F-N-R box (I'd really prefer a high-low-reverse box but that doesn't really matter).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts