My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During WWII plexiglass was invented and used alot in aircraft windows (among other things). Servicemen would salvage this plexiglass from downed aircraft and use it to make what is called "Sweetheart Grips". The would make their own grips for their sidearm and put a picture of their lady or a pin-up girl under them.

I have finished a WWII revolver and would like to put a pair of sweetheart grips on it. I have tryed making grips before and I'm just not good at it. Anybody here want to try or know somebody that can?

·
Joe
1,165 Posts
Not sure if you mean actual Plexiglas® or any clear plastic. I can tell you from years of working with these types of materials you will want to go with Lexan® type. Plexi will easily split and crack whereas Lexan won't in most cases.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I'd also wonder about making a mold from a stock grip and pouring clear casting plastic in the mold to make the new grips. If you want the authenticity of handmade grips like those soldiers made, I agree with Joe, you would want to use Lexan (which I suspect was what those canopy windows was made from anyway) because it's much stronger than plexiglas. There'd be lots of sanding and polishing involved to make them.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lexan was not invented until 1953. I really don't care myself what they are made of as long as they are clear. I can polish them myself. I don't see the difference between making them from walnut or plastic seems it would be the same process.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
What you could do is use the same liquid epoxy that woodworkers use on their crafting. Make a mold of what your grips would be, mix the 2 part epoxy and pour into the mold. Crystal clear though you can add colors or sparkles to it. Sand with regular sandpaper for the finish you want.
Matt Cremona has a video of a large tabletop pour to give you an idea:

You can look at what he used here:

https://www.ecopoxy.com/liquid-plastic/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts