My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone doing for the fronts in snow. I got great traction last year on my ingy with chains, and homemade weight box. The front tires on ingersolls are smooth ribbed, and I did not get a lot of traction trying to turn, wanted to go in straight line sometimes with snow caster on it.

I saw someone somewhere maybe put walk behind snow blower tires on the front of their tractor, just looking for some ideas.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have a sears tractor, NOT a ingy so it may be different. I have switched to tri- ribs on the front of my tractor

(this picture IS NOT my tractor, but shows a close up of the tire!

and it has much better steering response in the snow, than the "multi-rib"floation

it had before. IDK about snow blower tires

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
If you want to stay with a 16x6.50-8 tire, the best two options are the Firestone Rib and V61 5 rib

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really, I was thinking more luggish tires were going to be the thing, like what's on a snow blower. So you guys noticed an improvement with that style tire in the snow?

That picture of the multi rib tire is what I have now.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
The thing with the V61's is they have a very deep rib, so they dont get clogged with snow like the smaller ribs. I run 4.00-8 tri ribs in the winter, and they are amazing.

Thing to remember is there is difference in the jobs of front and back tires. Back tires only need to make it go forward, thats what Snowblower tires do. Front tires need to be able to cut side to side, and do more than grip in a straight line.

The two above tires are about as good as it gets for a 16x6.50-8 tire.

·
{This Space Available}
1,549 Posts
I am running 4.80-8 x-tracs (snowblower tires) on my toro LT and just bought a set for my Simplicity. (I converted to 4-lug hubs so seasonal tire swapping is a breeze) I find it a big problem to get any lateral traction with turfs -- especially when pushing a large snow load with a plow or when it is slushy underneath. The X-tracs are basically lug tires with recesses in the lugs. There is much more lateral grip and the open tread design prevents buildup. There are only 2 drawbacks: 1) a little bumpier ride and 2) they tend to sling slush onto my feet at higher speeds.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Really the trick is to have a tire that doesnt get clogged with snow. The tri ribs I posted a picture of is excellent for that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts