My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am contemplating on building a loader for my garden tractor, and I am looking for some plans to follow? Are these ones decent? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yes they are worth the money. I had to fab it some to adapt it to my SS-16 but the basic loader plans are very helpfull. Very high quality blueprints and material list makes building it fun.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know how much modifying is required of the plans to build a loader for a John Deere 420?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I haven't used the loader plans but I did build a backhoe from PF plans and am happy with the quality of the prints and support provided. I would expect the loader plans to be of comparable quality. I encourage you to call and speak with Paul, the owner, as he is very helpful and knowledgeable about the specific mounting issues for a lot of different tractors and I'm sure can walk you through it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I just recently finished my loader project. The plans are great and are full of very useful information. However, the plans are drawn to a Cub Cadet 149. In my case the uprights and arms were exactly as I needed them. The bucket I changed for personal preference. The main (2) things I found that needed to be modified were the frame (part that uprights bolts to) and how the hydraulic pump would be mounted. I redrew his prints using CAD and mocked it up on a drawing of my tractor (only major features). I used this information to design my own frame (much more robust than his design in my opinion). My main goal with the "redesign" was to have the ability to remove the entire loader assembly (minus frame) with very little effort. I think I have achieved my goals in that respect. Any other questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent job on the loader and tractor cakes! Where did you place the resevior?

·
5000 posts and climbing
5,454 Posts
I believe the "PF" loaders have the reservoir right in the up-rights.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I am using the right up-right as my hydraulic "tank".

·
Registered
586 Posts
I am using a "return line filter" which was spec'ed out in the plans.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
By the looks of it you have the filter on the intake side of the pump. Preferably it should be on the pressure side of the pump.
never should a filter go on the pressure side of a hyd pump. well unless you bought lots of floor dry and cant use it fast enough. the filter goes in the return side always. ALWAYS.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i built a loader and backhoe with the pf engineering plans
here is my cub cadet i built it on

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
never should a filter go on the pressure side of a hyd pump. well unless you bought lots of floor dry and cant use it fast enough. the filter goes in the return side always. ALWAYS.
Yes, I stated that quite poorly. I meant to say that it should be on the return side to the reservoir.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
I just recently finished my loader project. The plans are great and are full of very useful information. However, the plans are drawn to a Cub Cadet 149. In my case the uprights and arms were exactly as I needed them. The bucket I changed for personal preference. The main (2) things I found that needed to be modified were the frame (part that uprights bolts to) and how the hydraulic pump would be mounted. I redrew his prints using CAD and mocked it up on a drawing of my tractor (only major features). I used this information to design my own frame (much more robust than his design in my opinion). My main goal with the "redesign" was to have the ability to remove the entire loader assembly (minus frame) with very little effort. I think I have achieved my goals in that respect. Any other questions feel free to ask.

Sweet loader....!:eck21: :praying: If you don't mind me asking how much were your material costs?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Steel costs were around $175 for the structural steel. The bucket material I had but I got a quote for the sides stamped and bent and it was quoted for $250. The hydraulics were in neighborhood of $750 (cylinders, valve, pump, hoses, etc)

The frame (which everything bolts to) was made from 2x3x3/16 steel. The uprights are made from 3x3x1/8, the arms from 2x3x1/8., the bucket from 1/8 sheet and all the other members from either 1/4", 5/16, or 3/8" plate.

Any other questions feel free.

·
Registered
586 Posts
David,

If you go to my photobucket page (in signature) you can see pretty much the entire process from upgrading the front spindles, making the rear weight box, to building up the loader. There is even a video. Let me know if you have any questions.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts