My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I currently have an 8122 that I mow several lawns with for friends and family. Some of these lawns are really bumpy, even though I roll them in the spring. To save time, I was thinking of getting a Gravely zero turn. My question is, Do these zero turn machines ride any better than my old 8122? I like the idea of a faster ground speed, but if the ride is no better, than I don't think my back will be able to take it. Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
For a better ride, put a suspension seat on the 8122. Anybody who says they mow at full speed on any ZTR on all yards is full of it. I own one of the heaviest ZTRs out there and even it can't knock out all the bumps. This year Gravely reduced the speeds on the Rapid PM down to 10 MPH which is closer to the ride comfort point. Yes the ZTRs get the mowing done better and faster but none of them solve all the bump problems. Scag even has gone to a suspended operator's platform on some models to help out. Ferris went to full suspensions but that also adds cost and wear points. On bumpy ground, reduction of speed is what helps. Running less air pressure also helps. Depending on how bumpy, a ZTR can run at 8 MPH where the 8122 wouldn't be able to even mow at that speed. The mower deck won't cut grass that fast on it. And 8 MPH is about WOT on the 12 HP engine and High Range 4th gear.

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
Make that B&S Ron. B&S Power Products Group bought both of them, Snapper and Giant Vac back in 2004.
Right, when I bought my Simplicity I got a choice of Kohler Command or B&S twin engine. The speculation was that the Kohler engines would disappear real soon.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
Right, when I bought my Simplicity I got a choice of Kohler Command or B&S twin engine. The speculation was that the Kohler engines would disappear real soon.
Yep. We all thought the same and in most cases you have a choice of B&S or maybe Kawi in gasoline models. No Kohlers to be found now. Gravely also has dropped Kohler in all but the Rapid where you can still get a Command Pro 30HP.

·
Registered
795 Posts
ZTRS must be a south of the Mason/Dixon thing as you very very rarely see them here up in New England. Weapons of choice up here are Ferris, Scag and Walker. Could count on one hand the number of times i have seen a ZTR up here.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
ZTRS must be a south of the Mason/Dixon thing as you very very rarely see them here up in New England. Weapons of choice up here are Ferris, Scag and Walker. Could count on one hand the number of times i have seen a ZTR up here.
ZTRs are more a flatland thing. Although Cub Cadet does sell a ZTR with steering wheel which will hold better on hills.

DISCLAIMER: The shop sells Gravely, Cub Cadet, Scag, Hustler, Ariens, and Toros if you ask. We service the rest as we are engine mfgs and Hydro-Gear warranty service.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts