My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone....

Trust you and your important equipment are all well. :tango_face_grin:

I have two of these trickle chargers: one provides full-time power to my ATV, while the second one does primary on my truck, secondary on my AC410S, and tertiary on an unused, extra battery.

Now that the colder months are here, I got to wondering if anyone had first-hand experience regarding whether or not these chargers can and do contribute to longer battery life. Personally, the AC410S starts up right away after having the battery connected to the charger, a definite change from before having the charger. The truck, however, never gives me issues, so I cannot make any comparisons there. But I go and ahead and put it on the truck's battery anyway hoping that I'm actually contributing to a longer, useful life for it.

Would anyone provide their own data on this idea?

Thank you!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have a tender on all of my equipment that reside in the garage thru hot summers and cold winters. Most definitely extends the life of the batteries. I recently replaced a battery in a garden tractor that has been in use for 6 years. It was still useful but I did not wish to push my luck with snowblowing season coming up. Also finally had to replace the battery on my generator because it died after 7 years. Previous to using the tenders my longest run with a battery was 3 years. JMO

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I've used a Ctek 7002 maintainer for several years.
The Ctek 7002 has a desulphation cycle that runs when you select charge.
It seems to bring back batteries that've been run flat when I allow it to run the recondition cycle.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,604 Posts
Keeping a battery fully charged does extend its life,provided the charger doesn't fail to taper off the amps after it reaches a full charge..

I've fried a few batteries when the charger was left "on" too long and it boiled all the water out of the cells...:(

I have to remember my old school chargers do "taper off",but even 1 amp or more constantly can evaporate all the water out over time...also some batteries seem to need to be "drained" of some current once in a while or they just seem to fail under load next time you go to use them,if left on a trickle charger constantly--like they need "cycling" like daily use in a vehicle to keep the cells healthy..

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
There's charge and there's float.
Charge runs at higher voltage and potential current to top off the battery. As you said this will boil a battery if left on too long.
Float maintains the full battery voltage at a low current potential. This is supposed to take care of any parasitic losses.

In theory a float charger should make a battery last longer. I usually unplug batteries on stored machines and top em up with a cycle on the Ctek. I really don't care what electronics the equipment manufacturer wants to keep running while it's off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts