My Tractor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I'm putting this in the right place if not my apologies to everyone.

Situation : I have a MTD Ranch King and future in laws who have a lazy son who tears up every piece of equipment they own ( i.e. the latest being a 2 cycle weed eater string trimmer he insists doesn't need oil in the gas ? ) over the last 10 years the count so far is 2 lawn and 2 garden tractors, the last one he drove into a swamp drunk trying to go 4 wheeling.

The Problem : All the rain we've been having make for great growth so the future brother in law called and asked to borrow my MTD ( not happening ! ) I said I would come down the road and do it myself.

They only live 2 mile away but it is on a state highway, so I called the local and the state police to see what the laws were regarding on road movement.

They asked the age, type, speed, and equipment it came with, and said it was legal to use the road to move it.

Now heres the rub I jumped on the road and in 2 minutes I had the county sheriff behind me, besides the fact that he looked all of 12 years old he had to prove himself to the boss ( nasty attitude ) he starts telling me how it needs a SMV placard and lights all over it.

Now I can see the SMV sign but the lights are a bit much where do I put them ? Called the state back and they said he was wrong but said it couldn't hurt putting an SMV on and I agreed.

Yesterday I started down the road and guess who was waiting ? The same kid and this time he was mad and gave me a ticket for improper equipment (no lights).

Any one know what the truth here is I don't ? The state and local say one thing and the county says another.

Sorry to write a book but I wanted to be as complete as possible hoping to get some answers.

Thank you to any and all help the forum can provide. :thanku:

P.S. no I don't have a trailer.

·
Super Moderator
29,563 Posts
are you driving it ON the road or on the shoulder? personally there is no way i would drive 2 miles with traffic to my back without lights and a mirror!

as far as if the deputy is correct, it really does not matter. he can give you a ticket based on his interpretation of the law and you have to fight it to beat it if he is wrong. so you can either get flashing warning lights(a good idea anyway) and the SMV placard, or you can fight with him everytime you drive it down the road.

better yet, why not find a small trailer for a couple hundred bucks and haul it over each time. 2 miles is a 30-45 minute drive on most machines, vs maybe 10 minutes total to load, haul, and unload! i bet this will be the only way to satisfy deputy dog any way, cause he is going to find some reason to ticket you from now on. in his mind you are showing him contempt and if you prove him wrong you will just be getting even further on his bad side.

·
Slowly turning green...
1,248 Posts
I have been tooting around the subdivision in my GT6000 without an SMV sign at the back. That could be an interesting idea to install one but then again, where I live is pretty free of police cruisers.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Aside from ego trips and underlying motivations to write tickets (for more $$$ for bloated Uncle Sam). They don't want to be pulling your body parts out from under an SUV who was driven by an obsessively talking cell phone user. If an officer has not been to one of these accidents they have heard about them. 3-5 years ago there was a motorcycle versus pickup accident in front of where I work. I heard details of the scene and it was quite ugly. You would not be eating for a day.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are you driving it ON the road or on the shoulder? personally there is no way i would drive 2 miles with traffic to my back without lights and a mirror!

as far as if the deputy is correct, it really does not matter. he can give you a ticket based on his interpretation of the law and you have to fight it to beat it if he is wrong. so you can either get flashing warning lights(a good idea anyway) and the SMV placard, or you can fight with him everytime you drive it down the road.

better yet, why not find a small trailer for a couple hundred bucks and haul it over each time. 2 miles is a 30-45 minute drive on most machines, vs maybe 10 minutes total to load, haul, and unload! i bet this will be the only way to satisfy deputy dog any way, cause he is going to find some reason to ticket you from now on. in his mind you are showing him contempt and if you prove him wrong you will just be getting even further on his bad side.
I agree and if I could I would get a trailer problem is I have a mini van with no hitch and to have one of the local stores put one on it's big money $345.00, and it also would be allot of money to shell out just to use maybe 10 times a year ( I'm not going to mow their lawn forever and we are moving soon ) so I'm not sure which way I would go ?

Now I think you're right about getting some lights on it but again heres the problem by law they need to be 3 feet off the ground or mounted to a (ROPS)
As you can see by my avatar not possible unless I mount them on poles.

I think part of this is I'm an outsider (transplanted from the Detroit area) and this particular Deputy has picked me to make an example of because most of the local natives do the same thing all the time, And I just spoke to my neighbor who does this with his zero turn and all he did was put a SMV sign on his.

Yes I do drive on the shoulder of the road as far over as possible (we have 15 ft. shoulders on this road) so I hope I'm not creating a hazard.

And It didn't seem to take that long to get there so I rechecked the distance by GPS and it's 1.83 miles I haven't check the ground speed of the tractor so I'm thinking you're right about the time of travel, if it's correct I could see where he would have a problem with it being on the road that long.

I have a great relationship with 90% of the public servants in the area partly do to the fact that I'm a watchmaker and do most of their customizing and building for them, Police and Fire Depts alike.

Maybe I should ask this Deputy exactly what he wants me to put on ?

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aside from ego trips and underlying motivations to write tickets (for more $$$ for bloated Uncle Sam). They don't want to be pulling your body parts out from under an SUV who was driven by an obsessively talking cell phone user. If an officer has not been to one of these accidents they have heard about them. 3-5 years ago there was a motorcycle versus pickup accident in front of where I work. I heard details of the scene and it was quite ugly. You would not be eating for a day.
I see your point and I agree, but my gripe lies in the fact that he seems to be singling me out and heres the kicker he sets up his speed trap on my side access road at the end of my property on my land ! hows that for a kick in the teeth.

P.S. the fine is $395.00 or $200 if I have it fixed in 30 days.

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Are you in love with your brother in law. He got this started let him take of this mess.:fing20:

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you in love with your brother in law. He got this started let him take of this mess.:fing20:
LOL no I'm not but I get tired of the future MIL complaining about the lawn. :crybaby:

Just thought I would be nice and help her out.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
you can get a pair of magnetic led flashing lites for $20 or less. one each rear fender, done. not 3' off the ground but a strong effort on your part

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't pay the fine, go to court if you feel its worth it..
Since we wont be in Hooterville much longer I think maybe I should but I just wanted to be clear on whats required to be legal, which still seems to be hazy.

I think I might take my neighbor up on him following me down the road to see if Captain Lawmaker will give me trouble, we both have the same setup headlights, reflectors, and SMV placards.

And thanks Ken for helping me fix whatever was wrong so I could get on here, it's a great site. :thanku:

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you can get a pair of magnetic led flashing lites for $20 or less. one each rear fender, done. not 3' off the ground but a strong effort on your part
Good point but what if it doesn't meet his idea of the specs ? :confused:

·
Registered
519 Posts
I put a triangular reflective piece on the back of my tractor. I some times drive my tractor to my daughters house about a black away. Where we live it's all dirt roads ans we hardly ever see a cop.

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
The law should be clear - not a function of what deputy dog THINKS !!

You called for accurate information, not for opinion - if I did the phone call, I would get name, rank, and possibly a "docket number" or something identifying the call you made to inquire - they might have a record of it anyway. It's a lot of bother; but it seems you have to do court to deal with this; your actions indicate responsibility; the results indicate a lack of accurate information given you; or an overzealous cop; or a police state. :rolleyes:
If SuperCop is working out of a different office; call that office and ask if you can move your tractor - document that call. Call the first one again - document that call. It's called evidence - and if you again are given wrong information; that helps you defend yourself.

As for codependent family issues being nothing but trouble unless you assume the unpopular stance of "it's ok to say NO" and can endure while they figure it out, cos they don't know it; don't get me started. ;) (oops, too late)
Did you drive their mower into a pond? Was that just ok? Or funny?
It simply isn't your problem to begin with - and that is either a lesson or a warning - to you directly. I learned that things go in circles. Stuff like this? every time it comes around, it gets more dangerous. (2-stroke, drunk, mower in pond, "rescue me", busted by dog.) (came around 5 times).
In this view, the whole thing with the cop is merely a symbolic warning to you. and that's of deep concern, because I have been there, and suffered the abuse of it - it did not matter that it was not my problem! - heads up, guy!! It cost me a house in a booming real estate market. Nice people tho. (the opposite is always true). :sorry1: (almost)
I hope my view is all wrong. (pm is open)

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
crap the big tractors around here maybe 70% have SMV plaques and maybe 25% have or use the flashers of lights, i seen one idiot at almost dark tooling down a 55mph no lights of any kind and no SMV

i would get the SMV and rig up a set of flashers and ride down the side of the road

maybe thats why the cops chased geroge jones on his deere in "****** tonk song" because he didn't have flashers and a SMV :biglaugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2OA1ldr8H4&feature=avmsc2

·
Registered
806 Posts
If I got a ticket or threat of a ticket, I would ask to see the law in the motor vehicle code.
Go to court, if they can't show you the law, then how can they convict you of anything?

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's funny, when I bought my Bolens HT-20 I drove it 3 miles on the side of the road to get it home, didn't have a trailer to put it on. I know I risked being stopped but I was ready to ditch into the nearest driveway. The tractor has a cab with flashers mounted and I remember it took the best part of an hour.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
i drive mine to the gas station and hardware store, lol. but in diffrent areas, there are diffrent enforcments. tomorrow i'll drive the stacked one to the hardware and get ya'll a pic.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.