My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've got about a 1000 get off driveway to maintain. I've currently got a DR Power Grader as and a 6 door scraper blade. The Power Grader works fine... But it never takes long for my potholes to come back. They get filled in with loose material but very quickly that materiel is knocked back out by vehicular traffic and the pothole is right back.

One suggestion I've heard is that I need to rip up the area around the potholes as and then let it be recompacted by traffic. that way instead of hard packed large areas with little small holes with loose material in them we have larger softer areas that could all get compacted together and instead of getting kicked out of the small hole. A box blade would work for this.

what are your thoughts on this? Should I try a box blade, or should I just keep at it with what I've got and eventually it will stick?

other implements I've considered are a land planer and landscape rake. But it seems like they would have the same problem that my power grader has. It would fill in the low spots, but then after a very short. Of time the loose material in a little spots would get kicked out but I'd by traffic and I'll be right back where I started.

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
Potholes will continue to come back until you dig them out. It might seem to defy logic, but that's what happens. Scarifier teeth on a box blade work well for digging out the potholes. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have over a mile of drive that I maintain. I have a landscape rake, roll-over box blade, rear blade and land plane grader blade. They all excel at what they are intended to do. Can do things that they are not meant to do too. But for maintenance of the drive, I would not be without my LPGB.

A lot of times if your implements don't weigh much, they just don't perform how you think they should. When it comes to grading, there just is no substitute for weight. :fing32:

Attachments

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MtnViewRanch,

Have you found that the LPGB (that's the same as a regular land plane, right?) Can take out the potholes? Or do you have to use a box blade to really fix the potholes and keep them from coming back?

By the way, sorry about the grammer in my first post. I'm composing on my phone and I didn't realize how bad it was until after I posted. Autocorrect isn't always correct. :)

·
Mine is orange.
119 Posts
We have about 1/8 of a mile of gravel driveway, with a good sized gravel parking area. I'm to the point that I'm going to make the investment in a box blade. I just need to find one that's not oversized for my BX1860. Manual says to stay at 4' with a max weight of 375 lbs.

·
Mine is orange.
119 Posts
I'm hoping to find that Family Farm and Home, who carries King Kutter's 48" box blade for $499.99, has one in stock at the one closest to me...about an hour away. If so, I'll be picking it up tomorrow. :)

I've been searching for way too long on Craigslist and eBay. I can't wait any longer for that great deal on a used one. It's time to bite the bullet.

I looked at that one. It gets good reviews from every review I could find on it. If I'm not able to get the King Kutter locally I may go that route as well.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far what I'm hearing is that a land plane is great for maintenance but a box blade is necessary in order to fix potholes. Anyone care to offer comments in support or opposition to this perspective? I'm all ears :)

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
Boxblade is the way to go!

As stated above, get the heaviest BB that your tractor can handle. Suitcase weights can be added and removed as needed with a simple bolted/welded bar on the rear of BB to help in digging/scrapping. Also remember that the BB can be slanted up on one side to help in crowning your road so water will shed to the ditches or can be level for doing parking areas by using your lift arm adjustments.

My BB is the light weight version which I got with the tractor package deal. I'll be upgrading it into a heavy duty model by welding in plates and improving the cutting edge with a replaceable blade. I've welded on a receiver hitch so I can move trailers around while mowing and can insert all kinds of hitch pulling attachments. I also installed chain hooks at the corners incase I want to use a chain link fence section as a drag or pulling light loads like brush / small tree trunks.

I also own a heavy duty rollover BB, it's in need of some TLC, previous owner left it in the weather. I've used it with my old 1950 TO20, the rollover BB is the way to go if you can find a deal on a used one, new isn't cheap!

Good luck on finding your driveway repair solution!:fing32:

Attachments

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts