My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Winter will be here before we know it. Summer sure did seem to fly buy!

I had tire chains on my X475 and the thing was just awesome for plowing snow. I kept my 54" blade and bought the new front mount, but have not purchased tire chains. With the blade or loader on the front and my ballast box on the rear, I would have to think that is plently of weight for pushing snow, but I do know that chains just add so much to traction.

Looks like the chains I would want to get (4 link v-bar ladder) run about $212 plus the tensioners at $45 per pair plus a load binder for installation plus shipping puts me at $300-$350.

http://www.tirechain.com/14-17.5tractor.htm

So you guys with the 2320's, 2520's and 2720's, what is your thoughts on tire chains for these size tractors?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I assume (by your avatar picture) that you have R4 tires? They can get pretty slick in the snow, and real slick in ice...

What is your driveway surface?
Level or hilly?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Hey SwiftDeere,
I told myself,after this past winter,(which was my first with the 2520) This thing definitely needs chains. Normal snows,probably not,but getting a major pounding...yes. Will it be another 17 years before our next 2 foot snowfall, well,that's a crap shoot. Where I live those types of snowfalls aren't the norm,but you never know. Better to have them just in case than not.:fing32:
As kennyd stated,they do spin........ALOT! My .02
I'd like to hear from members that have chains. Are the binders a necessity, and do the rubber tensioners work as well as the spring?

Greg

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I run the R4s usually during winter, my rears are loaded. I use the loader and the 6' rear blade. Yes, I do have to use 4wd most of the time, but never really had a problem. I have a gravel driveway, but neighbors is blacktop.

This winter, Im gonna run my turfs. They are not loaded, but I thought the first winter, when I first got it I used the turfs and they impressed me, so gonna see this winter. :trink39:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
4WD and weight is all I use. slkpk

·
Registered
973 Posts
Like Kennyd asked what type driveway do you have ??????? Also are you on a level lot ??
I don't have a 2520 but 2305 w/r4 and maybe ,with no slopes and a gravel drive.
Asphalt drive with sun melting your drive maybe...Concrete drive on a slope NO WAY !!

As the others have stated they spin easy with or with out weight..and you will slide with out chains Rubber tensioners is all I have ever used, I use about 7 or 8 of the clips instead of the 4 or 5 for each side. Main thing with chains just make sure they are tight on your tires. Put them on as tight as you can ,run them 30 min or so and then retighten. Or if tractor is jacked up when putting them on you can keep moving them around and you can get them tight enough .

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I bought chains for one of our 2520's two years ago, they are still in the box and we get quite a bit more snow than your location and I plow a lot of driveways, never an issue however I run turfs in the winter, ice sometimes is a pain but nothing major.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
4WD and weight is all I use. slkpk
:ditto: with my 2305... I've plowed 4' snow without a prob (level land, though). I've even done well on ice. I use 2wd 90% of the time.

FYI: My dad uses chains on his 2wd JD X500 and the chains mark up his blacktop... he has to get the driveway resurfaced every couple years because of it.

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gravel drive and for the most part level. Just a very slight slope up around the garage. As I said in the first post, I had chains on my X475 and that thing was unstoppable! 2-3ft drifts in the drive (at the old house) were no problem at all. Think I will plan to get the chains. Would rather get them now and not have to worry about again.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
My drive is gravel and asphalt with a steep grade on it. If it gets icy I throw out a little salt and no problem and no chains. slkpk

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Sam.. nice hydraulic plow (w/hydraulic angling, too!) :) That's actually a nice, creative idea!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Gravel drive and for the most part level. Just a very slight slope up around the garage. As I said in the first post, I had chains on my X475 and that thing was unstoppable! 2-3ft drifts in the drive (at the old house) were no problem at all. Think I will plan to get the chains. Would rather get them now and not have to worry about again.
Yup, better to have and not need then to need and not have!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Video of 2320 loaded front and rear tires on gravel drive snow was heavy and wet no chains... Must say I love the feel of the loaded tires tractor is so much more stable...some wheels spin but you have to remember Im pushing 1-3 yards of wet snow.
http://www.youtube.com/user/1fireballferkey
Like I stated above,, with R4 tires on sloped concrete ,and I have plowed on gravel and asphalt drives with about a 5-10 % more than yours and you will need chains... I have come within an inch of hitting my garage doors. and other owners homes thinking I could plow without using chains had weight box on with about 400-500 of weight and weight on tires.
Yes you can plow going down a hill but if your garage is at the bottom of that hill or you try and even plow across that drive you will slide sideways.

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Like I stated above,, with R4 tires on sloped concrete ,and I have plowed on gravel and asphalt drives with about a 5-10 % more than yours and you will need chains... I have come within an inch of hitting my garage doors. and other owners homes thinking I could plow without using chains had weight box on with about 400-500 of weight and weight on tires.
Yes you can plow going down a hill but if your garage is at the bottom of that hill or you try and even plow across that drive you will slide sideways.
What I saw in that video that was stopping the 2320 with no chains, my X475 with chains would have blasted right through! I had the X475 for 5 years and many times had 3-4ft drifts covering the gravel drive and I would just blast right through the stuff. Not one singe time did I need to depend on someone else to dig me out. What that video did do was convince me to purchase chains for my 2520.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
What I saw in that video that was stopping the 2320 with no chains, my X475 with chains would have blasted right through! I had the X475 for 5 years and many times had 3-4ft drifts covering the gravel drive and I would just blast right through the stuff. Not one singe time did I need to depend on someone else to dig me out. What that video did do was convince me to purchase chains for my 2520.
Can't compare a 2320 to a 2520, they are not in the same ballpark when it comes to performance, traction or ability, you will be hard pressed to get a 2520 stuck unless it's hard packed or ice, turfs will take care of most of it. I plow my 900 foot driveway with a good grade and a dozen others, I have chains but haven't used them.

I was curious last year about traction etc. the X749 with AG's makes the 2305 with Turfs or R4's look like a two wheel drive, it's pretty amazing.

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can't compare a 2320 to a 2520, they are not in the same ballpark when it comes to performance, traction or ability, you will be hard pressed to get a 2520 stuck unless it's hard packed or ice, turfs will take care of most of it. I plow my 900 foot driveway with a good grade and a dozen others, I have chains but haven't used them.

I was curious last year about traction etc. the X749 with AG's makes the 2305 with Turfs or R4's look like a two wheel drive, it's pretty amazing.
Thanks for yours, and everyone elses, comments about how much better turf tires are for snow, but, the thing is, I do not have turf tires and will not be buying any. I am still thinking I would rather have chains than not.

It does surprise me when I read there is alot of difference between a 2320 and a 2520. I would not have thought that to be the case.

·
Registered
255 Posts
LOL If your X475 with chains can push a 77" snow pusher that weighs 550 lbs plus 3yards of snow that weighs around 700+ lbs through 3-4ft drifts what did you need the 2520 for? other video>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtDmFl3AkqU

1 - 20 of 43 Posts